PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLAY for PAY or for LOVE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzocaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 80s and 90s when our band used to play a lot of shows (metal) I never looked foward to gig night. Gorecki put it best with the drunken idiots, not to mention your roadies drank all the profits and they're most likely the drunken idiots. Every line was rehearsed a million times too, no improvisation at all. It all gets very boring doing the same thing over and over and over. Maybe when I actually get good at jazz and can improve all night things will change. Doubt if I would even play out these days but stranger things have happened.

My greatest pleasure is going to a friendís house and just finding a key and off we go, or sitting in the backyard strumming away.

I also have Sonar and Band in a box, I'm quite content sitting at my computer.
Brazjazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah, great caster to be playing with friends like that.

I'm looking to be able to play out with improvisation being the key and I want to find people to do like what you describe, jam for fun at home through an afternoon.

then take those same people out to the right sort of places and continue the process. having an audience that gets what you're doing on whatever level they are appreciating it is fun. And the situation of being "on line" so to speak so that what you do NOW is the thing, that seems a healthy stimulus.

the question of being paid is another one and a real toughie.

playing for free in an environment which has musicians trying to make a living playing music doesn't seem quite right, since those hiring will usually be looking at their bottom line much more than at the quality of the music they are hiring, e.g. in restaurants etc. And getting a good bass player and drummer doesn't come for free.

we live in a culture that barely supports fine art of any kind let alone jazz!

i'm going to try to find some places to play which have never thought of having a band and just play guitar so i can build up my play list, repertoire and chops. maybe add another player to that mix from time to time. then i want to put together a band and see what we can do. but i only want a band that likes the music enough to want to play for fun and development as well as gigs.

it helps to have a day job, doesn't it?

trick then is to find people with day jobs who also make the time energy and inspiration to really play the music.

and then putting a cd together isn't as tough as it used to be at least getting it off the ground. selling enough to break even is another thing altogether ! guess that's what the day job is for

all best, keep it going!

braz
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's all types of gigs besides "pay or fun".

For me I look more at the audeince and the venue. A club date is very different from a diner gig, no matter how much you get paid, and they're both different than a corperate gig.

I used to dislike any "musical wallpaper" type gigs- I enjoy interacting with an audience. I mean- that's the whole point, right? But latley I don't mind those gigs as much, as long as the other guys on it are good players. But if it's young guys or students I'll pass (and I am young guy myself:roll:).

I got burnt out on that stuff awhile back, and that's why I stopped taking gigs. It just wasn't worth it. So, with the question of "Pay or Fun" I'd say you need a healthy mix of both.
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I just decided I would play for love but she's gotta look good, the days of me getting drunk and ending up with somone's leftovers are dead and stinking. Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: