PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzocaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

I live in Chicago and have been playing guitar for 30 years plus. Mostly rock and roll and little classical. I took a few lessons for the classical just to get the basics. More of a weekend player, sitting on the back porch having a good time. I had a Strat (hence the moniker) but have managed to talk the wife into letting me buy a Joe Pass Epi.

I was never a big jazz fan until two months ago I happened to come across some Wes Montgomery (haven't heard Wes in twenty plus years). I couldn't believe how smooth he was and how his melodies flowed. That's all I needed, now I'm completely hooked on jazz, constantly searching for more jazz. So far I'm building the guitar collection with Wes, Pat Martino, Larry Carlton, etc. I'll get to the others (Miles, Chick, Parker. . .) in time. But for now there's too much great guitar playing that I have to catch up on.

Now the hard part. . .playing jazz. Rock and roll has always come naturally to me and even classical does to an extent, on the other hand jazz has me scratching my head. I'm always looking for good information (this site has some great info and community). I plan on taking jazz guitar lessons in the near future and actually sticking with it. I've bought a bunch of books but they leave a lot of holes, so far band in a box is my current teacher and is getting me started. There is plenty of work to do, off I go.

Dave
PaulD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jazzocaster! Great to have another Chicagoan here. If you're in the city, you should check out the Bloom School of Jazz for lessons. Here's a link: http://www.bloomschoolofjazz.com/

Paul
Jazzocaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on Bloom, just wondering if 'll need a second morgage to afford it?
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come to conclusion it's arpeggios
Four notes (1,3,5,7) on the chordal scales
major and harmonic minor, all keys,
then dim and whole tone until it is completely automatic like walking. then you think about soloing.

Well anyway that's my goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: