PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naturals vs. Practised players
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rkelley40

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe in "naturals" to a degree but I also think it has a lot to do with environment. Science tlls us that babies "learn in the womb".
I look at my son who is a monster player and by some accounts a prodigy.
Never took a lesson and when I ask him where he get's these ideas and progressions from? he really does not know. the fact is that he was reared in a household that played music of the great jazz players, rock and classical everyday while he was an infant and all his childhood, some of the things that he does can be traced back to that. So in that case it was mental long before it was physical. Natural physical ability and hard work only enhanced that progress.
Rod
Viper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea JakeJew, reminds of the guy who went to the toothpaste company and said I can increase your sales by 10%. if you pay $x. When they agreed, he said make the hole 10% bigger.
alfonso

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a quote from liner notes to a CD, The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery. "Wes himself was a late starter, not even beginning on guitar until 1942 when at the age of nineteen, he first heard Charlie Christian on records". "Six months later he was playing professionally". Years later we all know his history or music, extremely amazing story, self taught by records, I know not the only guitar player who did this but certainly one of the best and for sure my one of my favorites. So think of this if you listen to CD's by anyone Christian, Django or Montgomery for six months and learn to play note for note or as best as you can, you or I. Will we become this talented, I don't think so, so I think the answer to this question is that a natural ability plays a big part in the player you become. Just a thought. peace.
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad (GRHS) used to quote "1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" and J.P. Renoir said "Strive to be a craftsman and let genius look after itself." With me its 99.9% perspiration and my rate of improvement is only just enough to prevent me from giving up.

Chin up. Itís the journey that's interesting if you could play like Wes after three weeks then it probably wouldn't be worth it. Interesting point by Alonso, which slightly undermines my point. Those guys must have had something.

Actually its only in the last 10 years that I have tried to play seriously before that it was a bit on and off.

When I was about 16 and knew nothing about anything including music I learnt blues harp by ear and in a few weeks could do a passable impersonation of Little Walter or Sonny Terry. The guitar is a different beast and Jazz a bit more problematic as we know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: