PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar as an extension of...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draqza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Guitar as an extension of... Reply with quote

So, I thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion, hopefully it won't offend anybody. Earlier today I was watching the G3 Live in Denver DVD (okay, okay, we've talked about this, I like shred Razz) and for those who haven't seen it, there's one part of the Steve Vai set where Steve and Tony MacAlpine are picking their own guitar but fretting on the other's guitar, while Billy Sheehan and Dave Weiner are doing the same thing on their respective guitar/bass. I mentioned this to one of my other guitar-playing friends, who commented:

: I dunno man... the whole "fretting another guy's instrument" think is a little... I dunno... well, homoerotic for me...
: It really is... I'm not even making that up... I don't know why it is, but it is
: Maybe the guitar really is a "phallus extension"

So that's the discussion prompt--what does anybody else have to say about that?

(Other than "ooh, see, one more reason not to watch shred," Razz)
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimmeckry.
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask Weiner (and you can, he's pretty accessible) I think he'd say it's just part of the show. No more, no less.

Steve Vai has made a career out of putting on a great show. Say what you will about his musicianship*, but the guy knows how to play to his audience. He's a little, no, a lot, no, I don't know. People pay a lot of money to see him do what he does.

*Personally, I think he could hold his own with any of the greats. But that's just me.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree, it's part of the *show*, there is only so much flailing that can go on thru the night without something else to look at.

I greatly respect Mr Vai, who cares what he plays or who his audience is. He's a great guitarist and has great taste in support musicians. I'm really hoping somewhere along the way, someone will get that MacAlpine should be the third of one of these G3 tours, he's extremely dimensional.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar as an extension of... Reply with quote

draqza wrote:
: I dunno man... the whole "fretting another guy's instrument" think is a little... I dunno... well, homoerotic for me...

O you find it erotic? It's just plain gay to me.

....not that there's anything wrong with that. Wink
draqza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha.... see, when I said "my friend said this," I actually meant somebody else :-p
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suuuuuure you did. Wink
alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a strange but good topic. Of course I don't think that anyone would dare say that those guys are not great guitarists but I know what you're saying about frettin' or fingering another man's axe, it's just not my thing to do, it even sounds homoerotic or whatever word you used, I don't feel it's gay but it certainly sounds gay depending on how you verbalize it. peace out dude, and keep your fingers away from my ladies!@! Laughing
draqza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny is that this topic totally went a different way than I was intending... I was asking what people thought about the concept of guitar as phallic extension more than "is it showmanship or homoeroticism..."
dchos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm.......

The first stringed instrument was the lyre, reportedly invented by the ancient Greeks but more probably coming from Asia Minor. It was a tortoise shell strung with gut strings from an oxen by the Greek God Hermes, the bull supposedly stolen from his brother, Apollo. To appease Apollo Hermes gave him the instrument & Apollo became the first guitar virtuoso, even founding the Apollonian cult, a group of like minded, very sober MEN lyre players (not unlike the PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum).

We have already ascertained that, from an earlier post that the majority of us are guys & there really aren't that many mainstream women jazz guitarists or many in other genres either. So why aren't more women attracted to the instrument ? Is it because the neck could be interpreted as phallic ? Look at the headstock of the Fender Stratocaster with it's large rounded end, I'm not trying to be suggestive but hey.....

The modern rock guitar is unquestionably phallic (look at the antics of one J. Hendrix) but you'll find women playing all manner of other stringed instruments, most notably those in the viol family (cello, violin etc.) yet these instruments are strikingly similar in construction to the guitar. In fact the term luthier can be applied to the maker of viols as well.

As for fretting another mans instrument (electric rock guitar), whatever floats your boat, but I believe after the conditioning of the last 40 yrs that ROCK guitar IS phallic.

God I miss writing uni essays..... Crying or Very sad
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dchos wrote:
Hmmmmm.......

God I miss writing uni essays..... Crying or Very sad

Really? Shocked

Could never tell! Laughing
draqza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... If I ever have to write another essay I know who to talk to.

And c'mon lgiro, it's just for fun. Lighten up Razz
alfonso

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draqza,
I think if the guitar was a "phallus extension" then everybody would want to play large guitars, just a thought but I know back in the day when a guy had very large speakers for his stereo the same type of thinking and talking was going on. later
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: