PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great upgrade! + CD's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snapier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Great upgrade! + CD's? Reply with quote

Chris,
the upgrade is outstanding, containing everything I had hoped for! Now I'm just trying to map out some real set-aside time to go through it thoroughly and learn, really learn from you.

I do have a question: I realized soon enough, that with the downloaded version, I have to access the internet to get your example sound-files.
Is that true of the CD's as well? If I'd gotten the CD's, would the sound files have come with them?
I have digital cable right now, but am anticipating that it will not work out for us in the near future, due to unrelated circumstances.
Plus, I travel for work, have a little travel guitar, too, and there are many times in hotel rooms I could put on the CD's and do the full course with your sound files to guide me, even though I can't have access to the Web.
As much as you travel, you know there are still many hotels that don't have WiFi access in the rooms, or charge too much just to have a couple of hours practice with PWYH.
Is it possible, with just the CD's and no Web access? If so, I must get the CD's!

Thanks again! It's great.
snapier
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: CD ROM v download version 2 Reply with quote

Yes, with the download version the audio files are on the playjazz Guitar.com server and for this reason it is not for dial up guys. The CD ROM version does indeed have all the audio files on the CD. YOu can get the CD ROM version if you like. In time the CD ROM version will be more expensive but as of now now I am introducing it at the same cost. Let me know what you want to do.

Glad you like the new version!
Chris
sceptic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: pwyh....does it work? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new here... happen to bump into this site that promotes pwyh 2.0....just wondering if anyone got this program....i;m considering getting the program in download version, but honestly.....i'm really sceptical.... cos in the past i have purchased alot of online materials (screaming fingers, will laudrum series, etc) but they dont seem to be effective....

worse...the money back they claim never works....

thing is...i really wanna learn jazz n improve my playing (more to rhythm part)....just wanna find out if its really good n if it means what it says here....cos i really considering....just need some feedback from some of u who may have got the program....

thanks!!
wkriski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: re: play what you hear Reply with quote

I just bought the program and have started to go through it. I would recommend it if you are serious about learning your instrument. I've been playing for 23 years and am finally putting in the effort required to master the guitar. Let me warn you: you will have to put in some serious effort to truly gain from these lessons - including singing and playing scales horizontally and vertically across the fretboard. I started playing with other jazz musicians and the goal for me to to create interesting melodies on the fly - requiring whatever it takes to get away from riffs and other precanned ideas.

The other highly comprehensive software I would recommend is from pgmusic - the makers of band in a box. They have a jazz master class program that is incredibly thorough. Once again it takes serious work over many months and years to master.

My belief is that there are many good books out there but it's up to the individual to put in the effort. Good luck!
jazzer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Jazz Courses Reply with quote

I have plans of ordering the Play What You Hear Course, based upon the online demo segments.

I also own PG Musics Guitar Master Class, from Oliver Gannon. This is a well designed tool and resource as well. Until I own both of them and have used them for a while, I can't tell you which is better.

Like most instruction, exposure to more instructors and more material generally yields benefits.

If you don't already have a large quantity of instructional material, I think your money is well spent on both.

I also like the book, Chords and Progressions for Jazz and Popular Guitar, by Arnie Berle. I just wish it had a companion CD ... I like the audio formats of the newer instructional material.
rocktojazz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: CD version Reply with quote

I bought the CD version. I am an ex-rock guitarist and am just like the typical player Chris describes on his PWYH page..you know...stuck in a rut playing the same pentatonic scales all my life and ' just getting by' for a very long time..

There is a lot of material to get through and I have scanned through the whole course quickly when I received it and I see where Chris is coming from. If you can 'see' the fretboard in the way he teaches and learn your scales in a linear fashion, improvisation will indeed be effortless as you can just simply jump to any part of any scale on any string. If you think about it this makes a lot of sense.

Do expect you will have to work at this course when you get it.

The CD has all the audio files onboard and a printable pdf file with all the material too. I for one am quite impressed by its content and the exceptionally logical manner in which it is presented.

I think Chris's course is something which most of us guitarists with a basic knowledge of their instrument should be able to work from. I managed to lay my hands on 2 of his CD's (Hipsway & Groovalicious) to 'hear' where he is coming from and can assure you that Chris is a very fine guitarist indeed if these are anything to go by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: