PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be My Guest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Be My Guest Reply with quote

It would be a great honor to have you guys come in and sign my "Guestbook" ...

... new instructional stuff and mp3s are up ... free charts and materials...

...I'm presently working on Chuck Wayne's Arepggio system ... it will be an extensive and comprehensive TAB and notation of Wayne's 2 and 3 octave arpeggios ... hundreds of them:

http://chordmelody.org

...Guestbbook is about middle of the page ...
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Be My Guest Reply with quote

Cool site, I've been there before and have read a couple of your articles. It's a nice service you're providing for guitarists.

I can't help but ask what the benefit of learning hundreds of 2 or 3 octave arpeggios would be. It seems like a nice academic exercise to print them all out one by one, but isn't it a little like those chord books that just print hundreds or thousands of chords without a word about how to use them together?

Anyway, not hatin' just discussing. I'm sure the intentions are good. I just think some people might really think they'll need to know hundreds of arpeggio patterns to play jazz. Yet, I couldn't picture someone like Jimmy Bruno or even Joe Pass (when he was alive) saying, "yeah, learn a couple hundred 3 octave arpeggios and start working them out over chord changes". Wink
draqza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, arps are good for getting your head around the chord tones (or so I've been told... I haven't put in the time on it). And learning multioctave arps is probably another good way to think about approaching the fretboard, finding notes, etc... Although in my case, I would agree that just seeing charts full of arpeggio fingerings wouldn't be terribly useful, it seems that with that kind of stuff I only get a benefit if I actually work it out on my own.
jamato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...without actually seeing the arpeggio study it's hard to judge ... I asked myself before I started this projectL 'why & what' is particularly useful about this particular arpeggio study? -- answer: I wrote these for my students who have, through the years, asked many times about the effectiveness and usefulness of arpeggios ... AND. what specific fingerings should be used....(or options available ).

... what is particulary useful about this study -- and mostly why I am doing it is the VERY SPECIFIC FINGERINGS AND POSITIONS which produce a very specific tonality, sonority and feel for jazz guitar ... based primarily on the Chuck Wayne system ... in other words, these arpeggios are very "guitaristic" ...

... and if you have never seen Wayne's fingerings, it's worth the time studying the arpeggios he laid out ...

... Because of the amount of time it is taking me to organize and write this study up, and because of so manyh other projects I am involved in, if I didn't think this was a super worthwhile endeavor for my students (and jazz guita student in general) .. I would definitely discontinue this project ... but, no, there is loads of new knowledge here ... and it is just when we say that we know it all, when something new comes along that we haven't even dreamed up -- that sparks a new direction in our playing ...
ingeneri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost about 1/4 of the way through the transcription -- then it has to be entered into computer -- I use Sibelius ... I will let you know when I start posting them in pdf. file ...

... I blow through a Rivera Jazz Suprema amp .... besy sounding jazz amp I have ver owned ... a bit pricey but well worth it ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: