PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz compostion on guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coyotebgoode

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Jazz compostion on guitar Reply with quote

Hey everybody. My name's coyote and i'm an aspiring jazz guitarist from a small town where nobody's heard of Coltrane or Miles Davis, yes it's a tad frustrating. I started off four years ago after i became diabetic and I've been wood shedding ever since then. I started off with blues (maybe a little rock Exclamation ) but after I downloaded "Kind of Blue", all that seemed trivial. I buckled down and found me formal lessons and really got into the fundimentals of improv. What my question is is if anybody in this forum writes their own songs on guitar (jazz mind you) how do you go about it? I've written a couple great tunes but i don't know where they came from, just like divine intervention or something along those lines. I can't count on that everytime and i'm really wanting to do more originals. Please respond thanks.
sound

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once read in a magazine interview with pat metheny that he was told by someone or another to not write jazz on the guitar, because then you would then have written "guitar music". he said that they told him to write on the piano for music that can be played more on any instrument..
BM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: coyotebgoode Reply with quote

I have written and performed a small number of jazz guitar compositions, and would really like to say I knew what I was doing, but sadly it is not the case. My focus is sounds and the practice of playing the guitar as a whole instrument, bass, melody,harmony. Not sure whether it really works all the time, but occassionally it is very much like all the planets are aligned and it's great. How to transfer from what you hear to actually playing is somewhat of a mystery, but then some of the greatest things are just that. The more you play the better it gets !!
Robert Burton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this won't help but i write the music on paper then play it on the guitar.
alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Jazz composition on guitar Reply with quote

The only mystery I see in writing music is getting off emotionally on playin it... the way I write songs varies. Sometimes I hear something I like on the radio or whatever and I'll try to play something similar. I don't copy, I play something similar, another way is I start playing around with a nice chord progression or just two jazz chords that sound really nice together, something the ladies would like, the ladies is where alot of my inspiration comes from and I'm not trying to act like a ladies man or anything but I never met a jazz guitarist yet who doesn't play sooner or later for the female attention one gets... Anyway, I mostly play around with chords first, then once I have a nice sounding groove going, I'll start working on the melody. I know I might have made it sound easy but keep playin' and you'll soon find out how easy it truly is, hope this helps... peace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Coyote....

I dont believe that it is nessesary, as many of my friends means,to write music on your piano.It can with no doubt be a very good idea to compose on a piano if you arent quit sure of the openings of your harmonizations....
Otherwise my only advise to you could be to play the chords arpeggiated,in case they dont fit your guitar, or really stretch your ear and maybe sing what you´ve got in mind...Bjorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: