PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz Standards Fake Book with Chord Diagrams ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guitarstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Jazz Standards Fake Book with Chord Diagrams ? Reply with quote

I have a Big Fat Jazz Standards Fake Book that has a zillion songs and although it shows the guitar chord names above the staff it doesn't show any chord diagrams. This is really frustrating for me because I haven't memorized the entire chord book yet and therefore find myself looking up several chords in every song trying to figure out which ones make the most sense and hopefully it's similar to the voicings that the original transcriber had in mind when he/she wrote them down.

What I'm looking for is a Big Fat Jazz Standards Fake Book that has good sounding chord diagrams for every song. Anyone know of one like this ?

Thanks for the help.
Robert Burton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure such a thing exists. WHen ever i have seen 'someones' idea of the 'right' chords and 'right' voicing i have tended to dissagree

Here is a suggestion

Photo copy a tune you want to work on, get one of those gtr grid inky stamps and put in the chords/chord forms you think are good. Do this enough and you might find you don't need to anymore.

Or you could do it the way most of us have

1. learn a full set of chord types maj, maj 7, dom7, min7, half dimished, etc with the root on the 6th string

2 use those for a while

3. learn them again in a different form (root on 5th string 3rd on 6th 7th on 1st etc

4. use these for a while

5. repeat 3 & 4 for a while
Guitarstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned the chords you have outlined in at least two different forms, the problem is that there are several other forms and some make more sense from a structure standpoint than others. There may be three chords shown on the page that I would play the way I know, when a better way exists that has the three chords arranged such that the bass walks down, and the high notes form the melody, or whatever. That's the kind of stuff I would expect that a transcriber with some experience would chart out, stuff that I would have to discover on my own right now. I don't want to analyze the songs, I just want play them in an acceptable way right from the start.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Chord book Reply with quote

Good luck
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try Mel Bays Jazz Guitar Standards - Chord Melody Solos. Good starter arrangements of many standards.. I got one on ebay for $12. It does not have block diagrams, but it does have tab ...

Dave
kasmit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz Standards Fake Book with Chord Diagrams ? Reply with quote

Guitarstar wrote:
I have a Big Fat Jazz Standards Fake Book that has a zillion songs and although it shows the guitar chord names above the staff it doesn't show any chord diagrams. This is really frustrating for me because I haven't memorized the entire chord book yet and therefore find myself looking up several chords in every song trying to figure out which ones make the most sense and hopefully it's similar to the voicings that the original transcriber had in mind when he/she wrote them down.

What I'm looking for is a Big Fat Jazz Standards Fake Book that has good sounding chord diagrams for every song. Anyone know of one like this ?

Thanks for the help.

if you want to save a lot of time then learn the notes of the chords..using triads to get the essence of the chord (sound) try not to use the root..
pick just three strings..when you start.(the bass guitar usually covers the bottom). and connect them using the least amount of movement...try no more than 1whole step..as a rule...then add the bass..note..know the theory...but use your ears...chord books are okay...but on stage...you dont have time to fiddle with chord books...even in rehersal if the Music Director changes the chord..ex...d7 to d7b9 using the same voicing... you better know..what he writes in..now for practice.

Take a tune like all the things you are and write out all the triads..
and work out in all keys...saying the notes of the chord and what 3 notes you need to get the sound..and movement...quickly... before you know it you can play any sound just using three notes.. and you learn how all the chords are related....

BOOKS.

Sher Music has great books.... they don't have diagrams...but the charts are excellent... I would start with these... and if you have a palm pilot or similar... there is chord software for guitar available that is pretty good

just remember there are no short cuts... Most Pros can tell you every note they play..at all times...it may seem like magic... but believe me it is not..

I have one question for you ?

Can you spell every word you say when you are having a conversation with someone... just a thought..

take care and have fun..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Fake Book w/ Chord Diagrams Reply with quote

The problem is fake books do not provide full, 'teaching' arrangements of the tunes.

If the fake book had the actual guitar chords written out, then the piano part (or bass part) might not fit in all cases (nor will the guitar part fit in all circumstances). You would need 'solo', 'comp', 'rhythm', 'chord-melody' versions. If you want this written out for a tune, you need to seek a book (if it exists) that has written the guitar part in the style you require.

While not jazz, the best example of this I have ever seen (I own it) is the Beatles - The Complete Scores. It has written / tab score for guitar(s), bass, drums, piano, etc. Along with the recordings (or videos if you have them), this allows a significant 'replica' of the original playing style and chord selections. This book has provided hours of learning and entertainment, due the the vast number of beatles scores.

You will need a 'transcribed play along', or 'standards play along' that includes the written parts for guitar. Good books like this are rare, and even more rare if you want a play-along CD for practice. Hal Leonard, Warner Brothers, and JazzBooks.com have limiited selections of these books.

What others have mentioned (going through the learning process of several voicings) is the best long-term method. You need to learn various root voicings (low string basic voicings) and some middle string voicings and high string voicings (chord-melody). Start with the basic low string voicings, and the embelishments will come fairly easily later.

I wish there were more books that covered this by example, and how to best go about learning the topic. It is a leanring process ... learn the triads on all strings, learn the inversions, learn the embellishments, play/learn the related arpeggios and scales ...

A classic introduction to chord progressions, and voicings for jazz with limited examples (but no CD) is the book,
    Chords and Progressions for Jazz and Popular Guitar, by Arnie Berle

Good luck with your search for quality scores for guitar ... please post the results of the books you find that are helpfult to you, along with a short explanation as to how they helped you advance your playing.
Billy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Chords Reply with quote

I think what you might be looking for is a chord system. By that, I mean there are a whole lot of varied voicings and fingerings for the same chordal
struture on guitar. Micky Baker's system is being published again. Check it out. It's another perspective but I find that it works. Then you might try some other systems. I try and go with what chris recommends, learn scales, modes, chords lateraly and verticly. Hope this helps. Peace!
ronjazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: fake book chords Reply with quote

Sorry, there is no "guitar pill" that makes it easy. The guitar is a different animal--easy to play a few simple things on and sound good, fiendishly difficult to master. I recommend the Johnny Smith method (Mel Bay) for chord voicings, and for overall guitar knowledge, the Berklee series by William Leavitt (my teacher, and a true genius). Also, our host (Chris Standring) has evolved a pretty cool approach, check it out. But there is no substitute for time spent with the instrument and a good teacher or method...
Army Jazz Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Jazz Chord Book - AWESOME Reply with quote

Go to
http://www.bobroetker.com

and click on "MY CHORD BOOK" it was endorsed by JOE PASS

You fill find a gold mine ---if you are looking to learn some great voicings..

He was my instructor at the US Army Element School of Music

GREAT PLAYER - Buy one (or more) of his albums...

Super guy and fine player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: