PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summertime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draqza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Summertime Reply with quote

I've only been working on jazz for a semester after playing classical/fingerstyle blues and folk for two years and in general for 8. The songs I've worked on so far have been Miles Davis' "All Blues" and "So What," a little bit of Ellington's "Satin Doll," and mostly "All the Things You Are." Today I decided to try to work some on my own on Gershwin's "Summertime" from a lead sheet, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to use to improvise. Is there anyone who can suggest either for this song in particular what scales to use, or more helpfully, how to go from the lead sheet to figure that out? Thanks in advance.
alfonso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Summertime Reply with quote

I play this song in F#minor and I use the pentatonic blues scale, try it, it always works for me...
draqza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...the powertab i got for the head/to jam with has it in Dminor, and it turns out you can get away with D minor the entire time... the only other jazz song I've played much is "All The Things You Are," which of course shifts a bunch of times, so I was expecting to have to do the same on this one.
Bjornn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Scales on chords...... Reply with quote

Hi graqza,
A good start could be simply to think : minor7-chords=dorian,Dom7th chords =Mixolydian (I like melodic miner up a halfstep),you have probably heard about Alteret or superlocrian, thats the one...Ex,Gdom7th chord = Ab melodic minor.....And finaly Maj7th chords=lydian (A little more "happy´er than the major scale.....)

And a good start for ii-V-I in minor (em7b5-A7-dm7 ) Experiment with the harmonic minor (D harmonic minor) over the em7b5 and a7 chords and then fall back to the D dorian over the m7th chord.....Luck from Bjorn.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: