PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jackie McLean passes at age 73...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Jackie McLean passes at age 73... Reply with quote

One of my all time favorite players and main influences, Jackie McLean passed on yesterday. Crying or Very sad

If you were not aware of his playing, you owe it to yourself to RUN out and grab some of his records. One of the hardest swingin' MFs that ever graced a bandstand.

Here's to you, Jackie!
ingeneri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Igiro- the thing about him is his playing is very consistant in a way much like Cannonballs- he always brought it and he was always swinging, and you can always tell it's him. I'm actually not familiar with the Penguin guide- I'll have to look that up.

Anyway, you basically have 2 periods for him, the '50s and the '60s. In the '50s he was playing mostly in the bebop tradition of his idols (although he's still immediatly identifiable). One of my favorites is the album "Swing, Swang, Swinging" (or something like that Rolling Eyes), as well as the early Miles stuff, but on that it's mostly one and done on the choruses. He was also with Blakey for awhile, but the only thing I have is called "Hard Bop", which is pretty good (I only say pretty good because I'm such a HUGE fan of the later Blakey stuff). "Alto Madness" is another classic.

In the '60s he really started pushing it, but don't let that scare you. A lot of people say he was getting more modern or free, but to me he really just got more driving and more emotional in his playing. The fact that he was using guys to back him that were more modern helped that sound, but to me he's still just blowing straight ahead hard bop- but maybe a little more adventurous.

That one you list with Dex I haven't heard- it might be post '60s. "Bluesnik" is an album that a lot of people love, but I never got that into it- every tune is some variation on a blues. I really like "Right Now!", "New Soil" is good bop, "Live at Montmartre" I've never heard. "Destination...Out" is great, lot's of interesting writing and arranging. I would say it's a good 2nd McLean album to get. On a lot of others if you get the CD they throw two albums on one disk, like on "Vertigo" (which I like a lot) and "Cappuchin Swing" (the little monkey on the cover was his!).

You know, you can't go wrong with just about any of the mid '60s stuff, it's all killer- his best. "Consequence" is a very underratted album. Also his side man stuff is great as well, especially with Lee Morgan, like "Charisma"Cool and "Cornbread"(which gets a little muzak-ish, but it's still good). After the '60s the only thing I have is called "Nature Boy", which I wouldn't recommend as a starter. Definetly go for the classic stuff.

Like I said, it's mostly good stuff, and if you're looking I would recommend getting something he's on with other players you like on it. Maybe grab something bop and then something mid '60s. To me he's a lot like Dex- he might not sound that much like him, but the way he creates his ideas seems to come from a similar place, so I think you'll like him.

Quote:
When they tell you to listen to horn players, Jackie Mclean is at the top of the list.

All I listen to is horn players! My holy trinity for awhile was Jackie, early Sonny Rollins, and Eddie Harris.
ingeneri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Downbeat Obit Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
djangoman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Jackie McLean gone Reply with quote

So sorry your gone Bro.

Jackie used to tell about how he admired Bird's playing. Once Bird paid him to cover a gig until Bird he showed up. The audience was expecting to hear Bird and when Jackie was there instead they were not happy campers. Jackie was able to hang on until Bird stumbled onto the stage but it was one of his first experiences of standing in Charlie's shadow.

=={=}

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: