PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planet Wave Grip Master

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kspaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Planet Wave Grip Master Reply with quote

I am working through GMS and I am at the lesson left hand technique and the pinkie fly off and I discover after 9 years of teaching myself that if my pinkie was any more active, I could take flight and fly around the room.

So, I am working on retraining nine years of bad habits. I carve out about 45 minutes of time to practice guitar from 5:30 a.m. to 6:15 a.m. in the morning before the kids get up but I just need more time to strengthen and train the pinkie and ring fingers to stay put.

I was looking on the internet for possible remote solutions and came across the Planet Wave Grip Master. It looked like the perfect solution.

Has anyone used it before? Would it be a good tool for this purpose?
And, if so, what tension would you recommend? Is it based on what type of guitar you play or on how strong the fingers?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a reasonably inexpensive unit but it really appears as a gimmick to me. Because the actual movement on a fretboard it doesn't emulate. It only emulates pressing fingers down in the same place repeatedly and is not what will be being done on a fretboard.

Don't get me wrong, it may produce some desired assistance but I honestly can't see how.

I think of playing guitar as two parts.

The mind - The part that knows what to do, things where to go. Can be trained in many ways to get results.

The body - Can only be trained to perform a function, like walking, snapping your fingers...etc. Once it's trained it remembers (for the most part) and is very difficult to train it to do something with anything other than, that something. Ie, give a great piano player a mini-keyboard and watch them go insane! Laughing

Simple example, say you want to become a figure skater (weird example, bear with me) and you learn all your skating technique on roller skates. Now put on some ice skates and see what happens...get the picture? Wink

Just my opinion. Peace!
Kspaan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. That makes sense. I liked the inexpensive and mobil aspects of it. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: