PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Problem - Need Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TELCO1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Interesting Problem - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hi,

First, a little background. My Monday night jams started a long time ago with me and one other guitar playing friend playing jazz/blues with backing tracks I made using Band-in-a-Box. This was fun and worked out great. We've now added a drummer, sax player, singer, and one other guitarist. I'm the only experienced musician of the bunch.

Since we can't find a bass player, I started playing the bass which was fun for a while, but I would prefer to play the guitar. If I don't play either instrument, the tunes break down. So I decided to record myself playing the bass tracks. Here's what I did last weekend for the first time:

1) My bass is plugged directly into my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster).

2) For most of the tunes, I've taken the original midi track and with the use of Jazzware, edited out the bass track. For some of the tunes, I use the original tune by the artist which is an mp3.

3) I then convert the midi and/or the mp3 to wave format using Jet Audio.

4) I open the tune, now in wave format, in Audacity and begin the recording.

5) I then edit everythng out of the original track I'm playing against except for a count in (so we know when to start), normailize the volume, and export the file using Audacity to mp3.

I did 22 bass tracks for 22 tunes over the weekend and they sounded pretty good on my PC. I sent them to my friend who put them on his IPod for use last night.

So here's what happened.....he plugged his IPod into the monitor that his Roland V-Drums are connected to. We started going through the tunes, and in certain parts of song, the the tune would slow down hence, throwing us all off. This seemed to be consistant with every tune and it was obvious. All that work, and we couldn't use them.

It was thought that something happened during the conversion process, but I played a few of the tracks this morning on my PC, and they seem to be fine to me. I did not notice the tracks slowing down.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated on how I could improve this (short of trying to find a bass player).

Thanks in advance,

Lawrie

Guitar Gear:
1968 Raven Semi Hollow
1970 Ovation Balladeer
SX STL-50
Roland Cube 60
Roland Microcube

Bass Gear:
SX SJB-75
Douglas WEB-825 NA
Markbass LMII
Bergantino AE112/HS210 Cabs
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you've described, sounds like the iPod. I'm not exactly sure how they deal with codec's and latency but it sounds like instead of dropping samples packets from the audio stream, it's waiting for them and in turn sounding slowed down (no pitch change I'm assuming).

Could be simply the mp3 encoding codec used the iPod simply doesn't like and nothing more.
TELCO1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
From what you've described, sounds like the iPod. I'm not exactly sure how they deal with codec's and latency but it sounds like instead of dropping samples packets from the audio stream, it's waiting for them and in turn sounding slowed down (no pitch change I'm assuming).

Could be simply the mp3 encoding codec used the iPod simply doesn't like and nothing more.

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I think it's go to be the IPod since all is well on my PC at home.

Lawrie

Guitar Gear:
1968 Raven Semi Hollow
1970 Ovation Balladeer
SX STL-50
Roland Cube 60
Roland Microcube

Bass Gear:
SX SJB-75
Douglas WEB-825 NA
Markbass LMII
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TELCO1 wrote:

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I think it's go to be the IPod since all is well on my PC at home.

Lawrie

Easiest test is to provide him full uncompressed wav files if possible and have him use iTunes to encode them and see what happens. Peace!
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if you burn the files to an audio CD and let him rip them to his computer before transferring to the iPod? Would that make any difference? Is that what you're talking about? Why am I having so much trouble typing today?
TELCO1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
What would happen if you burn the files to an audio CD and let him rip them to his computer before transferring to the iPod? Would that make any difference? Is that what you're talking about? Why am I having so much trouble typing today?

There is a laptop available so I am going to burn the bass tracks on a CD to see if it makes a difference.

Lawrie

Guitar Gear:
1968 Raven Semi Hollow
1970 Ovation Balladeer
SX STL-50
Roland Cube 60
Roland Microcube

Bass Gear:
SX SJB-75
Douglas WEB-825 NA
Markbass LMII
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

That's basically what I said, but didn't, but did. I dunno?

Laughin my arse off
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid damn Tuesdays ... Confused
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Stupid damn Tuesdays ... Confused

You wouldn't believe how glad this day is nearing it's end. I nearly changed jobs, had three lined up and all is back to normal by sunset. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: