PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sick and tired of fusion guys and especially teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Yeah your right! Like the big duke said: It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing! And you cant get it to swing with a mediocre drummer. But i believe that its also is how your musical language fits together sometimes you can hear two guys for example a bassist and a drummer play fantastic things but then together they cant find eatch other and it ends up with they both playing for themselves and not together as a group.

If you only play your own things without listening to what your musicians around do you will end up playing a by yourself.

Not saying that you play for yourself just an example... Hope its okey...

John Hall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right! im with you again!
But i ll tell you what, even more of what you said...
there are some , few players, considered to be great, and they are great, they play extremely well , but ..but ...they are very much focused about themselves...that sometimes it seems that for awhile they just play for theirselves as you said .
Im NOT talking about Keith Jarret of course, neither about some other giant of that calyber , if is out there any, but I have some names in mind.
I wont tell John, unless of course you are very attracted by this topic...
John Hall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey!!! Shoot man let me know what you think.

John Hall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I believe that you can always learn from playing with those that are better and those that are worse than yourself. I believe that you should always challange yourself in playing. Just doing what comes easy for you won't give you any advancement in your playing. Being stagnant gets one nowhere. Of course, have fun! but, you should always be aware of new ways to do things, fresh ideas, and challanging yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marco, I gave one of your songs a listen. I thought it was quite good. I'm just getting into jazz, and listening to the greats now(Monk, Parker, Coltrane etc) and the first track still sounded pretty good to me.

You guys were discussing careers and life as a musician, and I agreed with quite a few of the things you said. To be a good musician, you have to love music and do it just for that. You can be a guitar teacher, but only because it's a viable job option that lets you continue your musical exploration. Some people take all the enjoyment out of music, and do it just as a job, or for the money. Which, is totally missing the point of it all.

Unfortunately, guitar teachers don't get paid enough, and most jazz players are indeed broke, which sucks. But, I'd rather live in a shitty apartment and do something I love while eating ramen noodles, then live in a nice house and hate my job.

To the thread starter, I think fusion is alright and all, but the classic jazz pieces should be observed as they are, and not messed with like your teacher did. Of course, messing around and improvising with them is alright, but completely changing the context, well, completely changes the song. Just ruins the mood of it all.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hall.

Since you`re from Sweden, you must check out Staffan William-Olsson. He lives in Norway and performs with The Real Thing, Sharp Nine + more.
He`s truly amazing. Great sound and technique.
One of my absolutely favourist.
He plays in the tradition of Wes Montgomery ,George Benson and Pat Martino.
Robert Burton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusion is alright but what has killed its image is basically the smooth 'jazz'

I would also say there are a lot of blues players claiming they play jazz (and it don't help that most jazz fests seem to have lost their way in terms of programing)

It is a pretty vague concept to nail down...."what is and isn't jazz" but somethings are easy to tell they ain't jazz (or if it is it is some lame @$$ cr@p pop in jazz clothing).
Purpletwo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Cliched playing!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

What annoys about most Jazz courses even at the highest level is that nearly every ends up playing the same material from the real books and such. Some of these people become great players within a limited context. The real innovators are creating hybrids of many different styles of music, even smooth jazz when done well has more imagination than most bepob players - l'm saying most not all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: