PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New ways of thinking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bjorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: New ways of thinking Reply with quote

Hello there.
My name is Bjorn,I am 21,guitarist and from Denmark...
My musical interests goes out to musicians like Rudresh Mahanthappa,Steve coleman,Jerry Bergonzi,David Liebman,Michael Brecker...Etc etc.....
Dont get me wrong,I AM a guitarist though all the above examples are the names of todays biggest saxplayers (and from my point of view musicians)
If there is anyone like me who wants to avoid these traditional "pat martino/George Benson (I make no offence to anyone)-chats about things that took place decades ago, and is missing a place to talk about more contemporary music ,world rhythms,hybrid harmonizations, "new ways of thinking" Etc....
It would be cool...
Bjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there.....
Why arent you guys responding to this post????????
I cant believe that I am the
only guitarist around here, who is interesting in other
instruments than the guitar.......
I know thar this is a jazzguitar forum, (so you dont have to remind me about that) , Dont there exist other mucisians for you????????
Or is it JUST guitar......???????
packofcrackers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i listen to lots of other instruments other than the guitar, especially lots of sax players and piano players. i also love listening to good drummers....youd be surprised what you can learn from a good drummer. i like all the guys you mentioned like brecker and liebman but i just gotta say coltrane is still my fav...the way he played and explored the musical/spirtual realm is beyond comprehension. i love the way hed play the most out things and still sound in......PURE GENIUS
eljazzer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Other musical influences Reply with quote

Taking a master class with Lorne Lofsky, he stressed the importance of listening to other instruments and players.

http://www.lornelofsky.com/highway9.html

He stressed a pianist called Lenny Tristano:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000005H6T/701-0833021-5248306

I got the above CD, and find it very engaging, and totally off the beaten path. Since then, I make melodies with closer intervals than I ever did.

I also love to listen to Oscar Petersen, John Evans, Chick Corea,
Bill Evans and McCoy Tyner
Horns are fun, but I find their sound a little aggressive for continual listening - even though I do have a John Coltrane CD Smile
John Hall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have an idea that i stick with. There is a lot of guitarists out there listening to guitarist playing like like guitarists. I try to find players that play very good and dont care about wich instrument they play. I have transcribed a couple of Miles Davis solos and some Wayne Shorter, but i have also listen much and transcribed guitarists.

My point is that if you just listen to guitarists you will end up sounding just like a guitarist, and theres a lot of guitarists out there...

Bless J
alexhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a hell of a lot of stuff out there un guitar related. check out miguel zenon for starters, firey sax at its white hottest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: