PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesson 16 Single String Exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluestraveler

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Lesson 16 Single String Exercises Reply with quote

The numbers below the standard notation confuse me. First they are never explained - I infer that they are finger numbers. Second, they seem to arbitrarily shift from first to second position. As an example look at ex #19. The numbers seem to indicate that you should shift from first to second position at the end of the second measure. I don't have a clue why you should ever need to use the 4th finger in the first 2 measures. Are we supposed to follow these fingerings precisely as well as learn to sight read?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lesson 16 Single String Exercises Reply with quote

bluestraveler wrote:
The numbers below the standard notation confuse me. First they are never explained - I infer that they are finger numbers. Second, they seem to arbitrarily shift from first to second position. As an example look at ex #19. The numbers seem to indicate that you should shift from first to second position at the end of the second measure. I don't have a clue why you should ever need to use the 4th finger in the first 2 measures. Are we supposed to follow these fingerings precisely as well as learn to sight read?

I would tend to believe the first note of exercise #19 is a typo. It should be 3 (G) not 4 in the middle line. I also see one in #22. The middle line is a visual aid between the two notation types to lead you toward not looking at the TAB part but you have the finger positions as transition point. Eventually you won't need to look at the tab or the middle. Wink

If you find more errors like this PLEASE let us know.
bluestraveler

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using this course to fill in the gaps of previous instruction. Although I can play guitar reasonably well I have never learned to sight read it. Hence I am spending a LOT of time on this exercise - 5 or 6 weeks so far.

I have found other mistakes in fingering and I will get back to you on those. Before I do that however I need to know the purpose of shifting from first to second position in these exercises. I notice that, at least in the beginning stages of sightreading, there is a strong tendency to reflexibly associate a note with a string AND a finger. Shifting poitions, as suggested by the fingering on the middle line, makes me have to think about what finger to press - it is much less automatic. Is this an intentional part of this exercise? Confused
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blues,
Unfortunately, I don't have the program in front of me at the moment.

Quote:
Shifting poitions, as suggested by the fingering on the middle line, makes me have to think about what finger to press - it is much less automatic.

I would have to say a favorite phrase "Do you know where all of your F'n Bb's are?". Basically meaning do you know the fretboard, note for note. At the stage in the material you are *typically* the answer would be no. There shouldn't be much of an *automatic* at this stage.

In saying that, I lean toward the 'what works best for you' approach with the exception that sometimes exercises are intended to teach habits that won't need to be revamped later. In this case, that may be the case. But for you it may not.

As long as you can 1. Read a note, 2. Play that note without *searching* for it, you're accomplishing the intent. If this is not the case, it would probably be best to follow what's being taught the way it's being taught.

Make sense? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: