PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ever feel like this/.....never satisfied

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngnicholas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: ever feel like this/.....never satisfied Reply with quote

like ill be at a reahearsal not really do anything wrong or bad.. but go home unsatisfied or not happy or mad with my performane.. is this a problem?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM THAT DREADED FEELING Reply with quote

WELL THIS DOESN'T REALLY SOUND TO MUCH OF A PROBLEM.......THING IS IVE BEEN PICKING UP A GUITAR FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS......NOT LONG I KNOW...AND ONLY REALLY PICKING IT UP ABOUT 5 TIMES A YEAR FOR A FEW WEEKS OR SO........BUT WHAT IVE LEARNT IS THAT :

1.WHEN YOUR JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS OF SOMETHING YOUVE LEARNT .....IT GETS F~*kin BORING AND PREDICTABLE........THIS IS WHY I COULD NEVER TAKE TO PLAYING RYTHM GUITAR. ALSO THE SAME WITH MELODIES.......JUST PLAYING SOMETHING OVER AND OVER IS DULL......HOWEVER WITH ANY INSTRUMENT YOU CANT AVOID NOT PLAYING SOMETHING OVER AND OVER AGAIN OTHER WISE YOUD NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU WERE DOING AND YOUD NEVER LEARN ABOUT VARIOUS ASPECTS OF YOUR INSTRUMENT.........SO A VICIOUS CYCLE I HEAR YOU SAY..............

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

THIS IS WHY WE PLAY JAZZ MUSIC........YES YOU HAVE TO REHEARSE BUT .......JAZZ MUSIC IS FUNDAMENTALLY BASED ON REHEARSED IMRPOVISATION............WHAT I MEAN IS YES LEARN A FEW MELODIES AND MOTIFS AND THEMES.........BUT YOU ARENT SUPPOSED TO STOP THERE........THIS IS WHERE THE TRUE ASPECT OF JAZZ KICKS IN.......WHEN LEARNING THESE THINGS YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR OWN SPECIAL SCALE AS WELL.............WHAT I MEAN IS YOUR SUPPOSED TO BUILD ONE SPECIAL SCALE THAT ONLY YOU KNOW AND THAT ONLY YOU WILL PLAY IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE.......WHAT I MEAN IS WHEN PLAYING ANY SONG YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO PRESS ANY NOTE AND MAKE IT SOND RIGHT BEFORE YOUVE PRESSED IT.........YOU HAVE TO VISUALISE MUSIC..........THINK OF A TRUMPET PLAYER........DOES HE JUST MOVE UP A FRET FOR CHROMATIC SUBSTITUTION WELL YES IN A SENSE HE DOES ,BUT HE ALSO HAS TO HAVE THE SOUND IN HIS HEAD BEFORE HE PLAYS IT..........I SUGGEST IF YOUR NOT WITH ME UP UNTIL THIS POINT ...THAT YOU INVEST IN A CHEAP TRUMPET SO YOU CAN GRASP THE CONCEPT ....................ALSO HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN SPECIAL SCALE ON GUITAR...............START WITH SAY A PENTATONIC OR AEOLIAN NATURAL MINOR AND PUT ON A SONG OF YOUR FAVOURITE CHOICE.........THEN PLAY ALONG WITH THE SONG FOR AS MANY WEEKS MONTHS YEARS AS IT TAKES UNTIL YOU CAN PLAY THE WHOLE FRET BOARD AS ONE SCALE..........YOU SHOULD ALSO AD NOTES TO YOUR CHOSEN SCALE AND BE ABLE TO FIND OTHER SCALES WITHIN THAT SAME SCALE........FOR EXAMPLE FIND A ROUTE TO SLIDE INTO A DIMINISHED RUN.......OR DOMINANT RUN WHILST IN YOUR SPECIAL SCALE........FIND A WAY TO PLAY CHORD TONES OUT OF YOUR SPECIAL SCALE IN AS MANY POSITIONS AS POSSIBLE ALSO CONCENTRATE ON PLAYING IN ONE KEY THIS WILL SOND STRANGE FOR THE FIRST FEW YEARS BUT YOULL UNDERSTAND LATER ON.................LEARN HOW TO PLAY OCTAVE SHAPES IN WITHIN YOUR OWN SPECIAL SCALE AND MAKE SHURE YOU CAN PLAY A WHOLE SCALE IN OCTAVES.......THEN ONE DAY YOU CAN PLAY MELODIES IN PURE OCTAVE SHAPES JUST LIKE WES.....ONLY MAKE THE WAY YOU SLIDE BETWEEN THEM A LITTLE DIFFERENT OR SOMETHING...ALSO LEARN THE OCTAVE SHAPE SCALE SO YOU CAN PLAY FROM A ROOT ON ANY OF THE 6 STRINGS........THEN PRACTICE THE OCTIVE SCALE SLIDING AND JUMPING UP A STRING ETC........ALOT OF WORK I KNOW DONT WORRY YOUVE GOT A WHOLE LIFE TIME TO DO IT IN...........THEN TRY AND FIND AS MANY CHORDS AS YOU CAN....IN YOUR OWN SPECIAL SCALE AND HOW THEY RELATE TO YOUR SCALE.........ALSO FIND WHERE ALL THE 2 NOTE PERFECET 4THS 5THS AND 2NDS ARE AND SOME 3RDS IF YOU LIKE.............THEN PRACTICE TAKE ONE NOTE AND PLAYING DIFFERENT RYTHMS ON JUST ONE NOTE THEN TRY IT WITH TWO NOTES UNTIL......HEY YOU CAN CHANGE RYTHM OF MELODIES ANY TIME YOU WISH WHEN YOUR PLAYING.........THEN WORK ON PHRASING BUT ONLY INCORPORATE A MUTITUDE OF YOUR SPECIAL SCALE PHRASING TECHNIQUES INTO ONE PHRASE . FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU GOT AN 8 NOTE PHRASE......PLAY THE FIRST TWO NOTES AS OCTAVES THE NEXT FOUR AS SINGLE NOTES AND THE LAST TWO AS DIATONIC CHORDS........OR WHAT EVER CONFIGURATION YOU CAN COME UP WITH......TRY SOME .......YOU CAN MAKE THE SAME MUSICAL PHRASE SOND VERY DIFFERENTLY IN THE DYNAMICS THAT YOU CHOOSE TO PLAY IT IN........THIS WILL ALSO STOP YOUR PLAYING FROM SOUNDING LINEAR AND NON-INNOVATIONAL.........THEN AFTER A FEW YEARS GO BACK TO ANT SONG AND JUST PLAY.........BY NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING ABOUT REHEARSED IMPROVISATION...........

ALSO NEVER TO FORGET THIS QUOTE:

"PRACTICE WHEN YOU PRACTICE AND PLAY WHEN YOU PLAY"

AND IF YOU EVER GET BORED AND UNSATISFIED WITH PLAYING A GUITAR AGAIN AFTER LEARNING ALL OF THESE THINGS THEN GIVE UP FOR A WHILE AND COME BACK WHEN YOUVE GOT SOME MUSIC INSIDE OF YOU...............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: