PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mike Placement Basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingeneri

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Mike Placement Basics Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike Placement Basics Reply with quote

ingeneri wrote:

I think part of the problem has been we're usually so cramped to begin with the mikes are always too close to one instrument or another.

So what you've been doing is trying open air mic's on each instrument but with only four?

To get it started off you have basically two approaches.

1. Each player is mic'd appropriately and fed back to the recorder through a mixer, what you record is a mixed bi-product with enough recording channels (1 or 2 or more per instrument) can be very 'post friendly' for mixing and mastering.

2. Two channel ambient mic'g. Two or more mic's at an appropriate distance and elevation from the sound source. In a jazz combo environment, this would tend to be further back in the room to allow the blending of the instruments with the room to occur before reaching the mic's. For this situation, literally use your ears for mic placement. Stand on a Chair about 2/3 back into the room for starters and adjust from there.
ingeneri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in a difficult spot, I find a situation like that complicated as well. Draping cables across a room or hanging mic's from the ceiling can be difficult but can be done. Depends on the place if they'll even let you do it. Unfortunately no magic answers here.

If you're serious about getting a recording, mic every instrument, through a mixer, two channel out to the deck (maybe even four channel if the mixer has 4 buses and the recorder 4 inserts..?).

As long as you don't 'clip' the signal, level's are only relative, if guitar comes out louder than sax (just an example) proximity is the problem and no levels will help that unless each individual instrument is mic'd.

Confused
ntgr8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mike Placement Basics Reply with quote

ingeneri wrote:
I'm trying to record live gigs using the Tascam 4-track, so this is not anything fancy. But I've been making terrible tapes for 9 months with this thing and have really had trouble getting a good equilibrium. Are there any primers on mike placement in a live setting or general advice you guys could provide?

I think part of the problem has been we're usually so cramped to begin with the mikes are always too close to one instrument or another.

I suggest getting 2 omni directional microphones placed high in the room aimed slightly at about a 30 angle apart (or 15 off straight at the bandstand away from one another)

|__BANDSTAND__|

____\______/____
___mic1 | mic2___

It's the journey, not the destination!

www.myspace.com/goodtar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: