PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughs on solid bodies used for jazz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eljazzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Thoughs on solid bodies used for jazz Reply with quote

I love the sound of archtops for jazz, but there are guitarists getting sweet ringing tones on solid bodies.

I once attended a master class with Lorne Lofsy where he demonstrated that a solid body rings stronger, and with with less decay than traditional jazz boxes.

http://www.lornelofsky.com/home.html
---

The enjoyment of music is the ultimate goal, and the methods of getting there seems more fun than actually being there.

With that in mind, both the sound of archtops and solid bodies are sublime in the hands of masters.

Any more thoughs on this ?
draqza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to the director of the jazz ensemble at my school and his immediate thought was that you could only play jazz on an archtop... "you just can't get that jazz tone through a strat." I guess that was partly related to the fact that the ensemble was playing mostly big band-era stuff and wanted it to sound authentic.

That said, in my opinion solidbodies are just as fine for jazz as archtops "unless" you're going for the archtop tone above all else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: