PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alterations and all that good stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packofcrackers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: alterations and all that good stuff Reply with quote

i just figured somthin out the other day while playing and concentrating on playing the alterations like b9's and #5's and all the others over dominant 7 chords and was playing just over a D7 vamp i recorded on my loop station....ive been playin all the modern triad stuff over 7 chords to get alterations and extensions but im starting to get out of that and know what note is what in realation to the chord but i found that instead of trying to make things complicated with the harmonic minor and melodic minor and all that you can just play the major scale a half-step lower than the root of the 7 chord your playing over (for example over a D7, to get the alterations plus the b7 and maj 3 play a Db major scale....use the Db as a passing tone and the the alterations it gives you in order are b9, #9, 3, b5, #5, b7, 7).....i was wondering if anyone else thought that way and if not then maybe it will help....its very helpful for playing over the V chord in a V-I progression because it goes into the major scale very smoothly so for example when playing over the progression D7-Gmaj7 you could use the scales Db major - G major
any comments are appreciated
Bjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definatly on this one.....
To deal with a ii-V-I in G, I like to play lines like:
A Cmajor idea over the ii chord ,aeolian sound, then the same line up a half step over the V chord, the altered sound, and finaly up another half step to Dmajor, the lydian sound over GM7.
Because its not very difficult to play the same line 3 times just moving it up a half step, I like to take this approach a little futher.
After playing the first line over the ii chord, I play the exact same line up a half step, but retrograded, and then over the I chord I play it like the first one.....To me this way of creating lines, is a very important one.
Because it has expanded my memorizing ability very much.
Imagine yourself playing a 16 note line over a ii-V-I.
That is 16 notes you have to transpose up a falf, playing it symetrically from the last to the first note over the V chord.....Thats a lot of notes to remember that way......But very usefull(to me), and not impossible..
After 3-4 months with an hour of practice per day, IŽd discovered myself being able to repeat the most crazyest lines this way.
And this is a great deal of fun.....
Bjorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: