PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The First 100 Tunes Every Jazz Musician Should Learn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C. OSullivan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned All of Me, then Satin Doll, then Blue Bossa, then Girl from Ipanema, then Beautiful Love, then Yesterdays, then All the Things you Are.

Those are all fairly common tunes.
Rich9999

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come "Sunny" is not considered a jazz standard?

Rick Smile
Rich9999

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well........It 's still one of my favorites, along with the
Road Song.

Rick Smile
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich9999 wrote:
Road Song.

Rick Smile

Well the topic is The First 100 Tunes Every Jazz Musician Should Learn, nothing in there about having to be standards.

Btw I do expect to consolidate everyone's opinions into the master list as we progress, think it's a good idea? Razz

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich9999 wrote:
How come "Sunny" is not considered a jazz standard?

Rick Smile

I have got an ancient jazz fakebook with it , so someone thinks it is.

Trane recorded Chim Chim Cheree, Inchworm and famously My Favourite Things. A jazz standard is...well (No I am not going to try.. ) Rolling Eyes

Cool whats this little chap doing I wonder? He seems to be in a hurry.
ed norton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess most people have seen this live version of Sunny, but just in case you haven't, here it is. It's great playing from everyone. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=543476999120679409&q=pat+martino&pl=true
jokron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Rich9999 wrote:
Road Song.

Rick Smile

Well the topic is The First 100 Tunes Every Jazz Musician Should Learn, nothing in there about having to be standards.

Btw I do expect to consolidate everyone's opinions into the master list as we progress, think it's a good idea? Razz

Good idea...but why put it in alphabetic order, why not in order of difficulty so that we beginners have some kind of road with milestones to follow...

/Jan Olof
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jokron wrote:
Gorecki wrote:

Good idea...but why put it in alphabetic order, why not in order of difficulty so that we beginners have some kind of road with milestones to follow...

We'll get there, actually what I intend on doing is making it dynamic, specifying difficulty level, votes for the top, etc. Just need some time. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jokron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
We'll get there, actually what I intend on doing is making it dynamic, specifying difficulty level, votes for the top, etc. Just need some time. Wink

Sounds good...

/Jan Olof
normy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footprints
blue bossa
four on six
HenryMars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty years ago I would have agreed with every tune on that list. I love all of this music personally. Now here is the rub .... jazz isn't as popular as it was when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's. Why? Because the music a lot of us play ( me included ) is older than dirt and even older than me. The list of 70 year old tunes needs to be brought into the 21st century. Not that the older tunes shouldn't be played ...... but the list needs to reflect more tunes that post date our grandparents.
If you want to make more jazz fans you got to relate to younger people or play to empty rooms.
I plan to start playing out again and a lot of these tunes won't be in my must play book, not because I don't like them, but it aint 1952 anymore.
I think the list has to be updated.
HenryMars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harmony issue is a valid observation .. I guess I view it as a challange. On the other hand there is a lot of popular music that can be converted to Jazz. Three chord wonder song writers have really dumbed things down.
Ever notice that you can usually tell when a song is put together by a singer/"guitar player"? Everything is really dumbed down. It is sad to say that the complex instrumet that I have spent almost 50 years of my life with has screwed up much of what we call popular music because any idiot can play three chords. Lets all capo up to the eleventh fret Rolling Eyes Songwriting as a craft is just about a dead art.
jokron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not simply follow the listing of the 1000 most frequently recorded jazz standards found on
http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/index.htm ?

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMars wrote:
Three chord wonder song writers have really dumbed things down.
Ever notice that you can usually tell when a song is put together by a singer/"guitar player"? Everything is really dumbed down. It is sad to say that the complex instrumet that I have spent almost 50 years of my life with has screwed up much of what we call popular music because any idiot can play three chords. Lets all capo up to the eleventh fret Rolling Eyes Songwriting as a craft is just about a dead art.

I don't know, what's so bad about this? I don't see how music being simple vs. complex really affects its artistic merit. Look at Johnny Cash, beautiful songs, great lyrics, usually just a couple of chords, real basic harmony.

Even though I devote a good part of my life to practicing guitar and developing a more vast harmonic vocabulary, I never really understood the badmouthing-simple-music thing, could somebody shed some light on this?
Jazzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew, I completely agree.
Me too, I`m practicing a lot of jazz-guitar. And of course listen to a lot of jazz.
But I must admit I get sometimes as much inspiration when listening to f. ex. as you said J. Cash, especially The Eagles, Mark Knopfler and Coldplay.
I think it`s quite impressive hearing a really strong tune with few chords. That they can say so much with so little.
I try to write pop/country tunes in addition to write jazz tunes. Important to try different things.

Henrymars,
"Songwriting as a craft is just about a dead art" , I couldn`t disagree more with you I`m afraid.
I don`t think music is about making things as complicated as possible, but about saying something you feel. Wether it`s a jazz tune or a country tune.
My opinion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: