PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linear scale finger patterns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Linear scale finger patterns Reply with quote

Hi Chris and PWYH users,

PWYH is awesome! I recommend it for the serious guitar players. Thank you Chris.

I have a question:

Are there any specific fingerings that should be used when practicing the linear scales in the first section of the course? Does it matter much if I am not consistent about the fingerings that I use?

Thank you - mcb
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Fingerings Reply with quote

Hi MCB,

Well the exercises in the very first part of the book are all about getting to explore the entire fretboard using just one scale. Most of the horizontal movement at first is really more focused on "hearing" the scale steps. With this in mind, the fingering isn't as important at first. However, once you get the sound of the scale steps in your head you will want to explore those scale sounds using melodic patterns (which comes a little later in the course). Once you start putting that stuff into practice you will need to start using economical fingerings.

I have not talked too much about fingering because the scale sweep permutations are entirely up to you. I simply give you a a good deal of examples. Once you get the idea, there are endless ways to play that scale. What I would suggest is that, once you do get the sound in your head, that you DO start to incorporate economical fingerings. Obvious ways to go at first is to use a span of say 4 frets using fingering 1,2,3,4 (where each finger occupies it's own respective fret) and then shift up to first finger again - if playing an example on just one string. Hope that helps.

Chris
DonJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, if you're into finger-style jazz as I am, you have the added fun of worrying about what the right hand is doing (assuming that your fret hand is your left hand) Wink
garden182

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Collage degree Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Chris and PWYH users,

You know - this was acctually a part of my collage degree believe it or not... B: Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: