PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi...New North Carolina Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Hi...New North Carolina Member Reply with quote

Hi all....just wanted to see if there are other RTP, North Carolina area members. I'm an intermediate player. I've been studying with Howard Morgan for a year or so.

Thanks
Jack
jeffmerriman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack. New here as well. Southwest Missouri. Crappy player, been noodling for years. Decided it was time to actually start learning. This site looks great.
JackH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Hey jeff Reply with quote

Hey Jeff...yeah...looks like a gold mine of info, huh. Good luck
L4sleeko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: North Carolina . . . Reply with quote

Hey there Jack, I live in Sneads Ferry, on the coast - complete with lil Sneadletts running around everywhere! Laughing
I just started taking lessons with Marc Siegel in Wilmington. He writes in Just Jazz Guitar Magazine on occasion. Wow, Howard is the deal. Are you in Winston Salem area? - Steve
?;^)~
JackH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Hey Steve... Reply with quote

Hey Steve....thanks for the reply. Marc's articles are great. I bet you'll get a ton out of those lessons. Yes, Howard is a fantastic guitarist and a very good teacher. I've been going for almost a year and my understanding of the fretboard has made huge leaps.

I'm north of Chapel Hill. Is there any jazz jam scenes down your way? I play with two other jazz-starters every week or so. That's been great. Take care

Jack
chordspinner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack H:
Hi, I'm from the Sandhills area....Pinehurst, Aberdeen, Southern Pines. Not many guitar players around here playing jazz, but a lot of bluegrass and blues and old time rock and roll. You'd think with all the country clubs there would be a lot of jazz interest but looks like the crowds there have gotten a little older and the younger ones don't care for jazz. I'm in two big bands..one at the Sandhills Community College, the other based in Sanford, about 30 miles north of here. We rehearse as far north as in Carey. Would like to hook up sometime. I also play bass...acoustic and electric. Do you ever go to Bogart's in Raleigh? Some guys I know play there regularly. There are some good musicians in the triangle area. Did you know Legato Guitars (see web site http://legatoguitars.com is in Wilmington? Bill Fender has some great stuff there!
Regards

"You're either at the gig or waiting to go to the gig."
PutAwayWet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack, I am a new membver here as well and live in Durham. I've been taking guitar lessons for about 3 years now and have been focusing on jazz for most of the past year - my playing is definately at a beginner level though I have a goal of making it to a local jazz jam within the next year.

You should check out the jazz jam every Friday from 7-10 at the Know Bookstore on Fayetteville Street in Durham. It is normally led by Brother Yusuf Salim, though he has been ill for the past couple months and hasn't been around. Typically there are jazz students and/or their teachers from NCCU along with locals and the occassional visiting professional. It is also about the most racially integrated place in all of NC (in my humble opinion). If you bring your instrument they will waive the $7 cover charge.

There is another Tuesday night jam on Broad Street in Durham, and something else on Wednesdays that I can't rememeber at the moment. If you are interested let me know and I'll dig up the e-mails about them.

Also if you are interested in playing a couple tunes together sometime send me an e-mail.

Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: