PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Approach notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Approach notes Reply with quote

Does anyone have some fantastic ideas to this one??????
I allready have the famous paper "Approach notes" and kept it by my side for allmost a yaer.(still studdying it!)
So, if you have some graet stuff to share, which goes further than the "Neighbor-tone-approach",
Then IŽd be very thankfull.
PS: Fell free to apply any idea about cromtism that you may have, things that could make things easier......
alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my naivety but I'm not familiar with "Approach Notes", I have however heard of the neighbor technique, or family approach when explaining relativity in the structure of notes/scales etc. Please explain...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An approach tone, as I understand it, is basically any non-chord tone that is either a whole step or half step away from one and resolves to a chord tone. Essentially, the only possible difference I can imagine to 'neighbour tones' is that with appraoch tones, you can use several tones before you get to a chord tone - e.g. for a C major chord

F D D# E

Go and look at some Wes solos, for examples.
MR SILVER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is a tone?
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest,
I'm familar with approach notes, I'm just not familar with the famous paper called "Approach Notes" that you're referring to, you know who wrote it etc.??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfonso: Then I'm afraid I can't help you! Good luck!

Mr Silver- the definition of a tone is complicated. Either it means a whole tone, or it simply means pitch or note. The latter is the meaning it has in my earlier post.
guest1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tone is a step movement on the instrument.

On a guitar a "whole tone" is two frets away from where you are eg for a G note , a whole tone is an A. A half tone or half step or semi-tone, is only 1 fret away so for a G note it would be and Ab (or G#)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR SILVER wrote:
what is a tone?

MR.SILVER IS A FOOL!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: