PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz Rhythm Guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Jazz Rhythm Guitar Reply with quote

Hey Guys I'm new to this board.

I'm not really a jazz guitarists but a composer who wants to gain some special influences.
I'm in search of jazz rhythm guitarists. Comping but especially arpeggio's and enlightning chord work. Lots of open strings, odd inversions etc.
Are there any players you know of that use this sort of things.
Yes? Name them and their key albums/songs.

Thanks. Very Happy
eljazzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe above is used by pretty well all jazz guitarists in different degrees.

You would have to supply an artist or two to narrow down your request. Then people would get an idea at what you're looking for

This guitarist I saw live, plays by himself, (or sometimes with a bassist), and nothing else, but sounds amazingly full.

He uses tunings, and open voiced chords ALL the time! He is something to see and hear....

http://www.donrossonline.com/
Valk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, I dont know #### about jazz guitarist.
The only remotely one I know is Larry Carlton, but I dont know if he's really jazz.

Maybe the way to describe it is the "chord/melody" aproach. I dunno.
alfonso

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: chord melody Reply with quote

Yo,
check out Bruce Forman or Robert Conti, Robert has his own web site and sells everything but the kitchen sink, he's highly talented...

peace out!
Russ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: comping outside the standard box..... Reply with quote

Hi Valk, I think what others have shared so far has been right on. I might add one more suggestion. Have you listened to any of "TUCK and PATTY"....???? This guy, Tuck, can really come up with some really strange yet delicious open string jazz chord voicings for comping behind Patty's vocal work.....might give that stuff an ear if you haven't already.

Good luck.....Russ
Robin Katz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silvan Luc............unbelevable French guitarist.
Wal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Jazz Rhythm Guitar Reply with quote

The Barry Galbraith "Comping" Book is a great reference for classic chord melody comping. It comes with a CD with all 11 tracks played by Barry himself, one of the true masters of jazz chord melody/comping. You will love it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: