PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Benson Picking Style
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montgomery Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: George Benson Picking Style Reply with quote

I've been reading lately about Benson's picking style from the Tuck and Patti site; however, I still don't quite understand the explanation on how to hold the pick. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks!
Yagyu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this (click and will be larger pics):

Hope these are helpful, if you want I can make more pictures
Montgomery Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures! They answered my question!
Jazzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch some videos of George Benson on youtube.com.
See how he holds the pick. By the way, he usually uses a fender medium pick I think.
jazznote

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently saw a video of a woodstock jazz festival featuring pat metheney and thought the angle of his pick on the strings would ba about the same as bensons, though metheney holds it between thumb and index/middle finger. (looks terrible, but sounds great Smile)
2003 L5 CES, 1999 LeGrand, Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp, Ernie Ball Stereo Volume Pedal, AER Compact 60 Amps, Clarus 2R amp, Raezer's Edge Stealth 10 cabinets
Jazzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this technique, and find it very natural.
I don`t regret a second that I learned this type of picking.

Anyway, a lot of you may have seen these videos. The reason why I post these links again, is to show two different picking techniques. But both sound fantastic in my ears.
And it`s also very important to think about the angle of the pick, pick-types, and especially the left-hand. A lot the work is done here.

Staffan William-Olsson

http://playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=994

George Benson, "el mar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QQG_JRhayE
ramonjazzguitar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael can you explane it a bit? ( step by step )

I want to know it...but i don't get it!

Thanks!

Ramon
tobykea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Re:Benson Picking Techinique Reply with quote

Hi guys, I too am trying to learn this style of picking having watched footage of Benson and being totally into his playing.

I've noticed that it's very good at pure alternate picking on a single string and when outside picking, i.e picking say the D string with a downstroke and the the G string with an upstroke.

The problem I'm facing with it is when Inside picking, playing say the B string with a down and the the G string with a upstroke. I always seem to hit the B string again as I'm trying to play the upstroke on the G.

Has anyone faced this problem with this technique or any technique for that matter and what things have you found to overcome it?

This little inside picking problem has been a problem of mine for quite some time now and I would love to know how to solve it.

As far as the Benson technique goes, it does allow for very fast two note per string runs, ala his famous pentatonic runs and also allows for very fast chromatic type things.

I think I'm going to stick with it for a while as it does has it's benefits, I just hope I can solve this inside picking problem.

Cheers,

Toby.
Jeffrey_Burr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobykea, this is the exact picking scenario that Warren Nunes goes to insane lengths to avoid. He's known around these parts at least as possessing great technique for bebop type playing; it seems he noticed this same problem and re-vamped his whole left hand thing to never have to do this inside picking again. I took a few lessons from him but I wasn't about to abandon and re-learn everything I was already doing in the left hand. I think his program is pretty over the top.
The other, somewhat more sensible thing to practice is picking downstrokes on the b string followed by upstrokes on the g string. Start as slow as you have to, to avoid the clam. At 80 bpm for 15 minutes a day, you should have done it 4200 times after a week. Then raise the tempo a bit. It shouldn't take a million repetitions before your problem is solved.
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren Nunes is no longer alive, I think he died in the early 90's. I know a couple of players who took lessons from him and yeah I heard of how strict he was, didn't allow you to bend notes and such but if you haven't heard his only CD- Half Moon Bay you really need to, personally I have never heard anyone play faster than Warren Nunes, I don't know that he was faster than Benson you guys can listen and decide on your own, but he was definitely one of the best guitarist ever. Oh yeah Igiro, your right he did only make the one recording. later
Jazzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonjazzguitar wrote:
Michael can you explane it a bit? ( step by step )

I want to know it...but i don't get it!

Thanks!

Ramon

It`s very difficult to explain I think. The explanation on Tuck and Patti`s page pretty much explain the technique.
The way I learned it was just by watching a lot of videos of Benson, and trying to copy his right-hand. Have you seen the "el mar" video yet?
Here you can see his right hand very clearly.
And also, I tried a lot of different picks with this tech. First I used a Fender heavy. But the Fender medium is much better. You get a much better tone from it. Try that.
I`m not a big fan of really heavy picks. In my ears they don`t sound that good. It`s better to try different angles with a thinner one, to get the best sound. (in my opinion...) I`m sure a lot of people disagrees with this.
Anyway, it takes a while before this tech. feels natural, so have patience. When you discover it, it`s great Smile
good luck, and tell me how it goes Smile

later

michael
Jazzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again...

Here are two very good picking excercises. Use strictly alternate picking.

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------3---------3--5--6--5--3-----5--3-------
---3--5--6----5--6--------------------6---------6--5

-------------3----3--5--6--5--6--5--3----3----------
---3--5--6----6-------------------------6-----6--5---

To get good technique, there are often problems with inside and outside picking. I use these excersises to practice this.
Hope they can help Smile
ramonjazzguitar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael!

I'm gonna check Tuck's site out!

Ramon
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best description I found and here's the link. later

http://www.tuckandpatti.com/picking_questions.html

"If I understand your George Benson technique description it's almost as if you are describing a person making the "ok" sign with his thumb and index finger and then flattening them together so that the tips of the two fingers end in about the same place".
Wildfield

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this link on another board: http://jmgras.googlepages.com/bensonpicking

Thought some of you experimenting with this picking style might appreciate step-by-step photos. It was nice that someone took the time to illustrate this picking technique that has been discussed so much.

For me, I'm waiting for the step-by-step photos that enable me to play like jazz guitar god. Smile

Last edited by Wildfield on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: