PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jazz guitar help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
half0tempo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: jazz guitar help Reply with quote

Hey, I would love to start playing jazz guitar..but I just don't know where to start, and help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even some nice hints on how to get good at reading notes on the fretboard (beyond open positon). Thanks!
half0tempo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what hand position would be best..because (since I'm originally a trumpet player...) I tend to only use my thumb to hit all 6 strings, and the just seems way to complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God - that's a lot of stuff. OK- here's what I think you should do in order:

1) Learn how to build chords from intervals. Learn to read chord symbols. Learn how to play major and minor ii-V-I's in every key starting with Eb Bb, F and C, Cm, Gm, Dm and Am. Eg:

D- G7 C
B-7b5 A7b9 Cm7

Learn what chords you can swap for each other.

2) Work on your rhythm. Record yourself. Play along with records. Concentrate on swining above all. Play latin rythms on percussion. Learn the drums. Learn to jazz, salsa or samba dance. Whatever helps Smile

3) Learn to play what you hear - find notes on the fretboard by singing them and then finding the notes on the guitar. Start simple - easy intervals, and work up to simple tunes and chords. This will do you more good than any scales.

4) Work out how you can apply what you know already to the task. If you're a blues player for example, work out how you can make the blues scale and blues licks soud jazzy. Also find places you can use the scale in jazz songs. If you know one shape for a chord, see if it's possilbe to use it to stand in for other chords. E.g.:

C6 = A-7

5) In terms of learning notes on the fretboard - that's hard. I'm not so good at it myself, and would appreciate some pointers. Smile

6) Technically - learn to play everything from a single position - chords, lines, everything. If you use a pick, practice picking alternately, strictly. If you finger pick, use only your index and middle finger, alternating. Make sure your fret hand wrist is straight at all times to avoid carpal inflammation. Keep your picking hand relaxed - finger picking comes fromt he knuckle, not the finger joints, and flat picking comes form the wrist or elbow. Find a good teacher.

7) Play live and jam with other musicians as soon as you can. Play with living musicans as much as possible. You will learn on the band stand.

Cool Be patient. I have been playing jazz for 10 years, and I am only begining to be happy with my playing. You may learn faster. But you may need more time. The more time it takes, the better you've learned it though.

Wes Montgomery played with his thumb. No reason you can't.

Hope that's some help

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - repetoire! Here's what I suggest for starters:

Jazz Blues in Bb
Jazz Blues in F
Rhythm Changes in Bb
Autumn Leaves
Minor Blues in Cm
My Funny Valentine
All of Me
Ain't Misbehaving

That'll get you into playing changes without too much stress.
chip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I know it wasnt my question but..... man thanks...good info. lol Very Happy
half0tempo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks a lot for the help!
christian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. Hope that you enjoy the journey as much as I have (so far) Smile
alfonso

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Guest,
Good stuff, Autumn Leaves is a must, I'd like to add just two more, Summertime and Tenderly, these are great tunes that are gonna allow you to learn alot of useful chords and give you great ideas on which to improvise which is what jazz is all about...

"Jazz, the music for artists and creativity"
Christian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair dos. Just happen to hate Summertime, but it is essential really, because singers want to do it all the time. (However, John Coltrane did do a brilliant version.)

Speaking of singers - did I mention Misty?
MR SILVER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: FREE JAZZ STANDARD Reply with quote

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SOME FREE JAZZ STANDARD CHORD PROGRESSIONS FROM ON-LINE?????
Ken V

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: finding notes Reply with quote

what made it all come together for me was this exersice. Play E once on each string then play B once on each string. Then in time with one or 2 beats for each note alternate between E and B . Randomly pick which B or E to do. Then notice that F and C are only a fret above these. And other notes start to relate shortly after.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: