PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rules of harmony and applications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexhunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: rules of harmony and applications Reply with quote

Ive been trying this recently.....
By studying various classic methods of harmony (keighley, annie warburton etc) Ive come across many rules for four part harmony. These rules may include no consecutive 5ths or consecutive octaves. For example if im playing Cminor 7 using notes C G Bb Eb, and then i go to Fminor 7 using F C Eb Ab, i would be wrong according to the standard rules of harmony as the 5ths and octaves are moving in the same motion (I hope that made sense). Although my ears arent on the level of such masters of harmony I can tell that moving a C minor 7 shape up the same string to F minor 7 sounds a little stodgy.
So this time I'll use the rules. I'll us my first chord consisting of C G Bb Eb and change the way i voice the F minor 7 ie. Eb Ab C F (or barre first fret on top 4strings.)
We can see the way this changes the position of the intervals below
instead of 1 5 b7 b3 1 5 b7 b3 where the interval distances are paralel
C G Bb Eb F C Eb Ab

we've got 1 5 b7 b3 b7 b3 5 1
C G Bb Eb Eb Ab C F where the interval distances are different. This stops chords sounding plain.
But as well as having a better sound we are thinking of chords how we should be, in a totaly harmonic manner. When the masters of Jazz "comp" theyre also improvising. Improvising with chord forms becomes just as satisfying as improvising melodies. I've just started with this stuff but its doing tremendous stuff to my ears. I'd like to get to a point where i can play chords off a lead sheet and play them exactly how i'd want to hear them.
I'm not sure if the books ive got are out of print but I'd recommend are realy dry, boring classical theory book that is very thorough. I've ran through so many hal lenord style books that cater mainly for the limitations that modern guitarists have so therefore use mainly visual approaches. It helps at first if you're the type of player who wants to "get good fast" but it doesnt help you develop as a musician. So I'd suggest that you should practice your harmony and chords with a side helping of classical theory.
Hope this has been atleast any help at all.
alexhunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i realy this bad at using message boards????

C F 1 1
G C equals 5 5 Sad
Bb Eb b7 b7
Eb Ab b3 b3

whereas

C Eb 1 b7
G Ab equals 5 b3 Very Happy
Bb C b7 5
Eb F b3 1

god im sorry bout this

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C F 1 1
G C 5 5
Bb Eb b7 b7
Eb Ab b3 b3

whereas

C Eb 1 b7
G Ab 5 b3
Bb C b7 5
Eb F b3 1

next time i'll use the preview button
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: