PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making it blend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingeneri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Making it blend Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jokron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many tracks do you have and what is in the separate tracks?

I suggest the bassdrum and snare in the middle of the stereofield.

The bass should be placed maybe 20-30% off-axis to one side.

Be sure to use EQ to separate bass and bassdrum.

Hihat, cymbals and toms spread out a little to left and right, not more than 20-25% (otherwise the sound will indicate a drummer with 9 ft arms...) if you have them on separate channels.

Now you place yourself on the opposite side according to the bass.With EQ you should cut out the lowest frequencies on guitartrack to make room for bass and bassdrum.

On the mix you can add a little compression and maybe some reverb. A very, very small amount of soft distorsion added on separate tracks and/or on the mix can create a feel of "live at the club".

Face the real situation: If you are on a club and have a stage, I don't think that the drummer is on the outer left (75%) part of the stage and the bassplayer on the outer right (75%) of the stage with you in the middle. The bassman and the drummer will probably not be able to play tight due to echoreflections, distance (believe it or not, but sound takes time to travel, even from one side to another on a small stage and reflections can disturb the rytm more than you think!) and if you stand in the middle with the drummer in your left ear and the bassman in the right ear you will probably not play tight either... I think that in most cases you have the drummer in the middle, the bassman on one side and the guitarist on the other.

...or as in this video the bassman and the drummer pretty close to each other and the guitarist in front, but , take a look where the amplifier is; to the right of the bassman. Kenny sits in front of them to be able to play tight, and the bassman and the drummer needs to be near one another to establish a unit behind Kenny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S3WwHSvJPo

I don't know what recording and mixing equipment your friend have, but if he has a computerbased homestudio there is a lot of possibilities to make a good mix...

Hope this helped!

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Jan!

I was going to say basically the exact same thing but in one step, The Mastering Process! Mastering in general has a huge influence on the outcome. Proper use of compression and EQ is extremely important! Most musicians (who aren't studio engineers) often don't realize the compressor and EQ are the most important tools to have, everything else beyond that is 'seasoning' on the mix.

Again..nice job Jan! Thumbs Up!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jokron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Nice job Jan!

I was going to say basically the exact same thing but in one step, The Mastering Process! Mastering in general has a huge influence on the outcome. Proper use of compression and EQ is extremely important! Most musicians (who aren't studio engineers) often don't realize the compressor and EQ are the most important tools to have, everything else beyond that is 'seasoning' on the mix.

Again..nice job Jan! Thumbs Up!

Thanks, Gorecki!

Really just some basic mixing advices ... Embarassed

For those interested in the subject I can recommend some articles:

http://zmatek.jinak.cz/diy/_upload_by_VeeHell/know2how/Audio_Tutorials_Library_By_LooPus/doing_it/recording_mixing/How%20to%20Mix%20a%20Pop%20Song%20From%20Scratch.htm

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/bmix/bmix.asp

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneMasteringGuide.PDF

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
ingeneri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jokron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingeneri wrote:
thanks for the advice guys. The tracks I was asking about are the ones posted on the myspace page below. After getting your input we cut the division down to 65% on each side. I think the resulting mix came out very well. So thanks for the help.

You're welcome!

Glad to be able to share something of use...

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: