PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is it important to know the function of a chord
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arteinvivo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you substitutes B7 for Ebdim this means we are in the ...
Code:
melodic minor landscape
1  2  3    4 5   6     7  Notes
-------------------------------               
i ii III+ IV V vi° vii° Chords

So Eb melodic minor should do the job over the first part of this progression.
Arteinvivo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small correction, i should have said that over this progression:
E-7 Ebdim7

We should use E melodic minor instead of Eb because its a i-V in the key of E melodic minor.
Ed McCartan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Soloing over Changes Reply with quote

I think you are taking the chord out of its context. Look at the whole sequence i.e. the ii-V-I. Jazz is built over this sequence, if you have a B7 alt. it probably is preceeded by the ii, or f#m7b5 heading to eminor. Now you have a complete melodic minor sequence in which to work over. Every sound is heading somewhere for its resolution. If we approach our solo's one chord at a time we can lose the beauty of the phrase we are trying to build.
A starting point is playing the melody for the phrase. Do not play the whole song, just the phrase that you are trying to solo over. Where did it come from? Is it melodic minor? After analyzing the melody try harmonizing the melody for your solo.
Also, in your practice sessions work on ii-V-I or i concepts using major sounds (dorian - dominant) then melodic minor concepts, altered etc. Once you have the sounds in your ears and under your fingers you should have an easier time with the phrases.

To reach me www.edmccartan.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: