PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sacha Distel as guitar player. Who can tell me about....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Sacha Distel as guitar player. Who can tell me about....? Reply with quote

HOLA A TODOS

Recently I've bought a Sacha Distel cd [jazz in Paris collection], and it was a good surprise to me see this well knowed french singer in his beginings as guitar player. He plays in a very clear and soft way, there isn't a waterfall of notes, but a lot of feeling.

And here comes my cuestion:

who can tell me about more guitar players who play as sacha does, very clear and softly, highlighting mel˝ody clearness over speed??

Is that way of playing an european way? because a I've heared a lot of 40s and 50s players (burrell, kessell and others in these decades) and is not the way as sacha does....

well, thanks for the replies,

Pablo, spain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sascha came out of the Parisian school of Jazz playing. Obviously this scene was Domintaed by Django Reinhardt but others were always around like Henri Crolla, Joseph Reinhardt (Django's Brother who a great soloist in his own right), the Ferret's and Rene Thomas. In my oppinion Sascha was an ok Guitarist I haven't heard the cd you purchased (although I would like to find a copy of it) but what I have heard of his was just as you said very lyrical but not technically stellar. This in my oppinion is not a common aspect of Parisian Jazz guitarists of this time. I believe (and this is just oppinion folks) that is why he stoped playing guitar professionally. He had competion from players like Jaques Montagne, Laro Sallaro and Phillipe Nedjar (although Nedjar is later. he also by the way just realsed a new album on the djaz laberl called the Shadow of your smile which is really great Parisian guitar Jazz).
PAblo I hope this helps.
FSUGypsyJazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why name didn't come up on that. but If you guys have any questions about anyone I mentioned feel free to Private message me. Parisian Guitar JAzz and Gypsy Jazz are my passions
jacques

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did compose a number that is a standard in the gypsy jazz repertoire:

http://www.gadjodrom.com/grille.php3?tune=prem_guit

But I must admint he is not a fiery gypsy styled guitarist, which is more the norm in Europe and the Nordic countries.
caygan101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: sacha distel Reply with quote

I saw sacha doing a gig in the 80s with Barney Kessel - the UK. Sacha looked a bit nervous to start with but he played fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: