PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

copyright ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddinjax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: copyright ? Reply with quote

Sorry for the off topic post. How do I copyright/protect my own compositions? thanks for any info.
Noonward

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hug them and shift your eyes from right to left
FullHouseRyan09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be very, very wrong in this, but I believe copyright is a law that can be enjoyed by anyone. Simply right copyright 2006, all rights reserved, etc etc. on the music. In order to get a pattent, which is more secure and has more severe punishments, you have to go through some offical matters and pay some money. But as far as copyright, I think your set. Once again, there is a possiblity that I am completely wrong, but I think I remember it being like that.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noonward wrote:
hug them and shift your eyes from right to left

hahaha

You have to mail in some stuff, I did when I was in a band. You mail in and get an official copyright. You can also just write copyright and hope nobody calls your bluff.
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copyrights and patents are very different things that deal with very different things. If you are producing original works it is in your best interest to know the difference, and how to protect your work.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if the old Copyright trick still works or stands up in court anymore but it use to.

In the US, Put a copy of the materials in a sealed package and mail it to yourself. The US postal mark on it use to stand as legal proof and date of ownership. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that is created privately is automatically copyrighted as of April 1, 1989. That means the moment you created it, it became copyrighted.

It is possible to register a copyright for increased protection in terms of provability in the event that a dispute should be taken to court. More information here: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#cr

Quote:
Don't know if the old Copyright trick still works or stands up in court anymore but it use to.

In the US, Put a copy of the materials in a sealed package and mail it to yourself. The US postal mark on it use to stand as legal proof and date of ownership. Wink

This is COMPLETELY FALSE! This NEVER worked.

This is often refered to as "poor man's copyright" and it is an urban legend that has NEVER been admitted in court as legal proof. The reason is that it is extremely easy to fake it by mailing an unsealed envelope to yourself and later placing a copy of the work inside the envelope and sealing it.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:

This is COMPLETELY FALSE! This NEVER worked.

You could be completely correct, I assumed. Falls into the same bucket as only using 10% of our brains I guess. Confused

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
alfonso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't copyright anything anymore, I did once. There's other ways to prove you wrote something than paying a copyright service. Here's a link. later

http://timberens.com/essays/copyrightessay.htm
Jeffrey_Burr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, you write " 2006 your name" and the work is indeed copyrighted; the service provided by the Library of Congress is copyright "registration", it only costs ~40 bucks now (?) and provides a firm legal standing for infringement claims. If you have a stack of old tunes to protect, seems to me you could compile them into one extended work with several "movements" under a single title, and save a few bucks.

Regarding the "poor man's copyright"; I don't know whether or not it's ever been admitted as evidence in a court of law, but you certainly can't just put postage on it and send it - I was told you have to send it certified mail (with the green sticker they put across the seal). Maybe this is also myth.
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB,
Yes I heard the same thing Gorecki brought up in the beginning and you are correct you do have to send it Certified and from the Post Office as well, nowhere else. My understanding is those posting machines are available to private businesses that's why it's got to go through a Post Office. How about if you just video yourself performing the song, most video recorder shows the date and time? Or spend the $40.00 bucks I guess, like I said I haven't copyrighted anything in years. I record it and that's my copyright, if I go through the daunting task of completely writing it out in notation then I might register it, but I very seldom write the whole song out. later

Jeffrey_Burr wrote:
Regarding the "poor man's copyright"; I don't know whether or not it's ever been admitted as evidence in a court of law, but you certainly can't just put postage on it and send it - I was told you have to send it certified mail (with the green sticker they put across the seal). Maybe this is also myth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: