PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My take on rhythm changes(moose the mooche)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly very mature playing. Great phrasing, interesting solos.

Like many others here, i am an aspiring jazz guitarist and I ask this question to every musician thats better than me. So please bear with it, and answer me in as much detail and with as much honesty as you can.

How did you get to where you are now as an improvisor. Step by step, what did you do? How did you go about learning the language of jazz?

I know what we are supposed to do, and what we can do to become great improvisors and musicians, i want to know what YOU did specifically. And one more question...

How do you practice, i.e. what do you practice and for how long?

Hope i don't seem too pushy but I'd really like to know, as others would i'm sure.

Thanks in advance.
youngnicholas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

well, as far as learningh the language i just listen and copy and try to get licks engrained in me. for paractice i'll mostly be learning solos i like lciks etc. jamming to tracks and stuff for as long as maybe two 3 hours the sruff i stated above. and that's basically what i do. it might not work for you though. so ask some other people. theres millions of ways to learn and im no prefessional so dont rely on what i posted above

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Thats pretty much what i've started doing too. Transcribing. I just sometimes feel like there is something else I could be doing as well to boost and speed up my learning and technique.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments & Ideas Reply with quote

youngnicholas wrote:
thanks for the replies.. but can you guys give some valuable thoughts on how to improve.

Nic,

Just stumbled upon this topic, and I don't know if anyone's still reading it? Anyway, I noticed that you received plenty of comments and kind words (very well-deserved, I might add), but no one has responded to your question.

I've played Rhythm Changes religiously every day for many years, and am currently writing an "Adventures In Changes" column series for Jazz Improv Magazine.

Okay, you have an excellent tone and a natural feel for jazz. I also applaud the fact that your playing is lick-based, as opposed to simply running scales, modes, and arpeggios. As you know, when you improvise in jazz, you always have the option of playing key-oriented, or over the changes using your acquired jazz language. Which you choose and how you choose to blend the two is up to you.

But since you asked for input, what I'll tell you is that your "A section" solos, constituting 75% of the progression itself, are key-oriented in every chorus. The only change-running I could detect was at bar 6, where you used some diminished licks (#IV) to get from IV (Eb) back to I (Bb). The solo swings, so if you're happy with it, cool. However, if you want to harmonically branch out on occasion, you should bring in some jazz turnaround elements (I-VI-II-V and III-VI-II-V), because the A section features extensive use of those formulas, hence the potential for change running.

Your work on the bridge is more melodic, as it should be. Personally, I'm always superimposing minor ideas over the traditional III-VI-II-V chords, so A minor over D9, D minor over G9, G minor over C9, and C minor over F9.

For what it's worth, 99% of what I know and teach in jazz is based on many years of transcribing my mentors. Keep up the great work!
hugo har

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: my take on rhythem change Reply with quote

hi nick, I heard your tune, is good. Basically you improve rhythem change, but you want more, Laughing well, how to do it, A section over the first and last bar, play only one major scale, the others bars free jazz, comping, scales, vamps, evrything you want. The B section, you can use dominat scale ( mixolidian), but also you can play free jazz turning back the last bars of B section.
take care, hugo har
youngnicholas

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

thanks for listening hugo....but i have no idea what you are trying to say. can you reword it?
youngnicholas

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: my take on rhythem change Reply with quote

hi nick, send me a mail to hugohar1@hotmail.com to answer your question, take care. hugo
jj

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice quote of Rhythm-a-ning! what guitar do play?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: