PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Band in a Box - for idiots????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stupot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Band in a Box - for idiots???? Reply with quote

Yes, i am an idiot, but im still brave enough to give this technology stuff a go... Very Happy

Basically, i just want to be able to play along with / record over backing tracks, a bit like Jan and others have been doing. Im not too fussed on bells and whistles, just a simple tool to improve my comping and soloing.

Heres my questions:

- Which version of BIAB do i go for?
- What other equipment do i need?
- How simple is it to use?

Like ive said before i want to play, not program Wink

Some advice would be great guys.

Thanks, Stu Smile
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stu,

The folks over at pgmusic.com offer a lot of video tutorials on using BiaB many ways.

The most used features are the most simplistic. Grab a backing style, type in some chords..play.

It can also be quite complex but if you don't 'need' that level of detail it won't be a problem. Wink

The most recent version is appropriate, the current and previous have features others don't.

All you 'need' is a computer with sound in its simplest form. But will handle soft synths, pro level audio interfaces and other things.

As said before simple operations (select, type, play) are simple but can get very complex.

You can go to pgmusic.com and download the demo version and play with it for ~30 days. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
stupot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Gorecki, i think i'll be grabbing myself a copy. Wink

So how do you actually record your guitar over the backing?? Im assuming i need a further gadget............ Rolling Eyes
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupot wrote:
Cheers Gorecki, i think i'll be grabbing myself a copy. Wink

So how do you actually record your guitar over the backing?? Im assuming i need a further gadget............ Rolling Eyes

Maybe, maybe not. A typical computer sound card will have a Mic or Line IN and can be used to record your play (and not alter the backing). Getting this setup and functioning correctly can be a tiny bit techie but not serious by any stretch.

For me, I don't record in BiaB. I use it for simple play over practice or to flush out base progression & melody ideas before I start multitracing them in something else. I also am probably considerable less experienced with BiaB than many other folks as I've only been using it for a few months. Confused

stupot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again G. Im actually not that much of a technophobe and am willing to give it a go.

So does anyone know what i need in addition to biab to record my lines over the backing Question

Cheers, Stu
drewblank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ofcourse. any soundcard that has a line in connection, and that's all of them. now, if you want to record yourself, you would need a preamp (the guitars signal is too weak to plug straight into a soundcard) or you can use your own amp's preamp (connect the guitar to the amp and the amp to the computer even thru the headphone jack of the amp).
you will need some basic host for recording. the most basic version of programs in the likes of: cubase, tracktion, cakewalk sonar, ableton, will do it.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, be very careful in recommendations, you'll be suprised in what DOESN'T work!

jokron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupot wrote:
So does anyone know what i need in addition to biab to record my lines over the backing Question

Cheers, Stu

I suggest you get a good soundcard, i e M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or E-MU 0404.

If you buy the E-MU-card it comes with a sequencer, Cubase LE, good enough to import BIAB .wav-files and record some tracks.

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: