PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

strange problem with computer recording, help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jokron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
will a new soundcard really do the trick? I mean is the SB24 that primitive? I'm maybe going to try to set up one of my old computers right now and see what happens...I was able to multitrack on those!

Did you check the sample rate issue...record two tracks and see if they are syncronized or not...I still believe that that is your problem.

Are yor backing tracks mp3 or from a CD?

If you can manage to record the backing tracks to your computer from another CD- or mp3-player into the recording software you will get the same samplerate on all recorded tracks...

The M-Audio Soundcard lets you choose what samplerate you want to have and a good recording software like Cubase will allow you to convert between different samplerates, that's why it does the trick.

If you have a mp3-backing trackt that is out of sync compared to your recording you could send it to me and I can convert it for tou so you can try...or wait some 15 minutes and I will upload two tracks, one 44.1 kHz and one 48 kHz so you can import and try for yourself...I'll post the links...

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
jokron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are two tracks:

1. 44.1 kHz : http://www.kronqvistmusik.se/Allofme%2044%20kHz.mp3

2. 48 kHz : http://www.kronqvistmusik.se/Allofme%2048%20kHz.mp3

It's a simple backing track I made for All of me...

Import them one by one and record your playing on another track and compare...

Keep me informed!

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty positive it's not a sample rate thing -

I'll record 20 seconds of me snapping or something, then put a mic up to the speaker and overdub the original track, and the two tracks won't be in time (they will start in time and gradually get out of time)

All I need to figure out is how to get the ASIO4ALL driver to be working with my soundcard...I can get it installed but can't see how to get it actually working with the system...if I can at least be able to do two tracks...!!!!
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember in the audio software you're using, go to the Audio configuration area, often 'Properties' or the like and be certain the ASIO4ALL is selected for the driver not MME, or DirectSound.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jokron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
pretty positive it's not a sample rate thing -

OK...I have to go to bed now...I'll se how it works out for you in the morning...

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another question...sound cards usually just pop into the pci slot, right? The soundcard for my dell (my main computer) appears to also be connected with a wire (no plug)

I actually HAVE another soundcard in another computer and it does NOT have latency issues, but

1. I don't have any of the drivers of disks for that sound card

2. I don't know how I could make the switch because of the cable...

same issues would apply to buying a new soundcard

Last edited by JakeJew on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, also, the computer as 504 megs of ram
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
here's another question...sound cards usually just pop into the pci slot, right? The soundcard for my dell (my main computer) appears to also be connected with a wire (no plug)

If it's a factory Dell Desktop then it's either an onboard AC97 compat (then it wouldn't be a soundblaster) or it's a PCI card and the wires go to a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM or relative.

There are only four types of audio interfaces:

OnBoard : Physically on the motherboard (disable these in BIOS if you want to use another card)
Card Slot : These days most often PCI slot but could be an older ISA slot (doubt it)
FireWire : Using a firewire port.
USB : Using a USB port.

Guess Serial or SCSI could be but I've never seen it.

Now if you ADDED the Soundblaster to the Dell, there could very well be an on board AC97 that needs to be turned off in the BIOS and could be causing some of your problems, the old one is still in the buse chain and eating up resources.

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
oh, also, the computer as 504 megs of ram

Hmmm..isn't a PC made that has 504mb, something's not right. Did you right click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties' to read that value?

Even so, 504's a bit light but not impossible, I suspect that's not a true number. If your system is *using* even half of that physical ram, it'll choak.

Also, if you haven't Defragmented your hard drive in a while that could also help quite noticably sometimes...but honestly don't think it is the cause of your problem here.

JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so here's something...

I talked to my friend who's big into this stuff, just graduated from Berklee for sound engineering (I think), he says it's actually not latency...

See I don't know if I made this clear before, but it's not that one track winds up being x miliseconds behind the first track.

What happens is that the tracks start in time and gradually get less and less in time

so before I was fairly convinced it was just the sound card, now I don't think so...

any ideas?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:

I talked to my friend who's big into this stuff, just graduated from Berklee for sound engineering (I think), he says it's actually not latency...

any ideas?

Yep, and unless your friend is solving your problem instead of diluting the solution, Iíd think it would be a bit more useful of them to provide a solution?

If itís any consolation, Iíve been working with digital audio since 1982 and audio in general before that..when was your friend born? Laughin my arse off

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Wink

Any case there is no one cause but in the computer arena, most often the most obvious answer is the correct one and in this case the interface or improperly configured interface would be the first in line.

JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
JakeJew wrote:

any ideas?

Yep, and unless your friend is solving your problem instead of diluting the solution, Iíd think it would be a bit more useful of them to provide a solution?

If itís any consolation, Iíve been working with digital audio since 1982 and audio in general before that..when was your friend born? Laughin my arse off

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Wink

Any case there is no one cause but in the computer arena, most often the most obvious answer is the correct one and in this case the interface or improperly configured interface would be the first in line.

I appreciate all your help, gorecki, I'm just looking for answers and ideas wherever I can get em.

But I have to call you out - for somebody who preaches about ego, that was certainly an unneccessary comment of yours. I know your slightly joking, but nobody was calling you wrong or dumb, it was just a simple issue: my understanding and his understanding was that latency is an issue of a consistent asyncronism, rather than the tracks drifting out of time with each other.

In good news, there's an option in cool edit pro for "correcting drift"...right now it's working like a charm!! Three tracks of two minutes in length in perfect time...but I'm not going to celebrate yet, gotta test it more...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT!

Jake, it's not about ego it's about babble without an answer, you must understand, I deal with half-assed compu-tech's that spend so much time babbling about the problem (stroking their own ego) without ever providing a solution...so I don't even entertain it...I get in it's face or the *job* will never get done...understand? I simply have no tolerance for it. I've been doing this stuff (audio, music, computers) for so long I don't have a lot of patients for the words I read (blah blah blah..no answer).

Hopefully the 'drift correction' helps but I'm still convinced is only a symptom to the solution and shortly will expost itself (just one more track could do it).

Anycase, if you can do some tracking, get some in! Thumbs Up!

jokron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
See I don't know if I made this clear before, but it's not that one track winds up being x miliseconds behind the first track.

What happens is that the tracks start in time and gradually get less and less in time

JakeJew wrote:
In good news, there's an option in cool edit pro for "correcting drift"...right now it's working like a charm!! Three tracks of two minutes in length in perfect time...

Oh, I misunderstood you, I thought that the syncronize problem was between two tracks...if that isn't the case it surely isn't a latency problem, rather a drift problem that you have discovered yourself...

I'm sorry if I messed things up for you... Embarassed You know, the latency problem is one of the most common problems among home-studio issues...and it's almost always solved by getting the right ASIO-drivers or making the right settings...

I'm glad you found a solution! Very Happy

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jokron wrote:
JakeJew wrote:

JakeJew wrote:
In good news, there's an option in cool edit pro for "correcting drift"...right now it's working like a charm!! Three tracks of two minutes in length in perfect time...

Oh, I misunderstood you, I thought that the syncronize problem was between two tracks...if that isn't the case it surely isn't a latency problem, rather a drift problem that you have discovered yourself...

I'm sorry if I messed things up for you... Embarassed You know, the latency problem is one of the most common problems among home-studio issues...and it's almost always solved by getting the right ASIO-drivers or making the right settings...

I'm glad you found a solution! Very Happy

/Jan Olof

Yeah Jan it makes sense, reading around the net latency seems like such a common problem I assumed it was mine as well...

I still don't know where this drift is coming from!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: