PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The theory of Bop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: The theory of Bop Reply with quote

I just watched the PBS Ken Burns special on jazz. This episode was mostly about Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie. These guys are amazing. I've been playing alot of Django and swing stuff but I'd like to get into some bop and I was wondering what the theory is for playing it. Is there any obvious thing that once you know what makes it work, you can experiment with for a long time?

Thanks a bunch,
Phil
Wes Powell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

-wp
Jacek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Bop Reply with quote

What helped me a lot with Bebop was actually learning the theme lines for Charlie Parker tunes such as "Ornithology" and "Donna Lea".
It shows you how he dealt with the key changes and gives you a good idea of the phrasing in Bebop.
You could also learn the Bebop scales, that always helps.
Most importantly though: listen to a lot of it so you internalize the sound.

Happy practicing.
Jacek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: The theory of Bop Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I just watched the PBS Ken Burns special on jazz. This episode was mostly about Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie. These guys are amazing. I've been playing alot of Django and swing stuff but I'd like to get into some bop and I was wondering what the theory is for playing it. Is there any obvious thing that once you know what makes it work, you can experiment with for a long time?

Thanks a bunch,
Phil

Hi Phil,
I'm agree with Jacek, the key is LISTEN,LISTEN, LISTEN...but also you must analyse a tools (relation chord/scale), how phrases bop..... You can buy in your local dealer a book from a man Corey CHRISTIANSSEN "essential jazz lines-Charlie PARKER".
Good music
Rabe
ilovejazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: bebop Reply with quote

I agree with the other's that you learn jazz by playing jazz, but there are a ton of valuable study aides available today. I would strongly recommend David Baker's three book series entitled, "How to Play Bebop". He is a gifted teacher and his books are easy to follow. The best part is that you can get all three books for less than $50.00 U.S.

Happy Beboppin'
jazzalta

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Omnibook. Full of Charlie Parker's bebop lines. It's my bible.
MARCOTURCO

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bop Reply with quote

Jacek wrote:
What helped me a lot with Bebop was actually learning the theme lines for Charlie Parker tunes such as "Ornithology" and "Donna Lea".
It shows you how he dealt with the key changes and gives you a good idea of the phrasing in Bebop.
You could also learn the Bebop scales, that always helps.
Most importantly though: listen to a lot of it so you internalize the sound.

Happy practicing.
Jacek

IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN WHAT ARE THE BE BOP SCALES , I 'LL BE HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU, NEVER FOUND MORE THAN A LITTLE FRAGMENT OF A SCALE IN A BEBOP SOLO OR THEME,WHAT ABOUT CHORD TONES AND CHROMATICISMS?
MARCOTURCO

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzalta wrote:
Get the Omnibook. Full of Charlie Parker's bebop lines. It's my bible.

THERE YOU GO, EVRYBODY STUDIED THE OMNIBOOK, THAT'S "THE" BIBLE OF BOP
Jazz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Bop, Theory and Sources Reply with quote

Definitively Charlie Parker, his songs melodies, his solos from the Omnibook, or some other transcriptions, by Corey Christianssen or David Baker..........., or/and by your own transcriptions from the records.
But it is the beginning of the whole thing.
When I started with the Omnibook, I begun to realize and discover a lot of Joe Pass, Jimmy Rainey, Barney Kessel (etc, etc) ideas. Thatīs the source.
Daniel
tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most widely used bebop scale is a major scale with a flat 7th (ie mixolydian) with an additional major 7th as a passing note- 1,2,3,4,5,6,b7,7
alex hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go my feathered friend
http://www.petesklaroff.com/Improvisation.htm
there is a PDF on all the bebop scales and information on how to use them
Pete Sklaroff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: BeBop Scales Reply with quote

Very many thanks for the mention of my site and the link.

I do have to mention however that the best sources of information on BeBop scales (and their derivatives) are David Baker's books on playing BeBop and more especially Jerry Bergonzi's 'Jazz Line' book (Vol 3 in his 'Inside Improvisation' series.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Peter
alfonso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: The theory of Bop Reply with quote

For Be Bop check this book out by jazz guitarist Roni Ben-Hur at http://ronibenhur.com/ good luck...

Talk Jazz, Be Bop Studies in 12 keys
The studies in all 12 keys. Includes fingerings and fingerboard diagrams for the guitar.
268 pages
Price: $34 plus shipping
alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: BeBob drills, check out Frank Singer dot com, he has free lesson plans on his site and other useful material...
Christian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing that seperates earlier jazz from be-bop is the way in wich be-bop uses rhythm - while pre-war jazz has more song like phrases, bop alternates very short phrases with long phrases, which break up the structures of straight jazz. The idea is to break free of the chords and let the melody lines have their own shape.

Concepts like - playing the chord before it appears, or after it's gone by (anticipation and expansion) are very comon, as is playing a semitone higher and then resolving. Above, all listen to the records. The Omnibook is brilliant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: