PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AWESOME!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: AWESOME! Reply with quote

Awesome!!!! Great topics you got here.. it give me an idea how to transform my PC into a simple recording studio. But yet still.. the discussion are too advance for me that I didnt understand most of the terminology used. Anybody can guide how to make my PC into a great recording studio. Anybody can tell me what I do first.. settings? hardware check-up? A rpocedural approach would help me lot since I'm not actually a computer guru. We'll, I just want some simple recording just to be able to hear how I sound and share the files to friends as well. I don't have a bandmate that's why I need to know how to record my ryhtm and play a solo over it. I also want to know how to put beat(drums) on my records.. Please anybody.. A simple referal of site that discuss bout this will be of great help.

Thanks.. Wish me luck! I hope someday I can reach 50% of you level people!!! Wink
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make a computer great, usually requires it to be a dedicated DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). There is quite a bit of tweaking on computers to make them handle it really well.

A powerful computer with a lot of RAM and a fast hard drive with a good audio interface will usually work reasonably well with little effort. But the more tracks you want, the more effects you run, the more tweaking is required.

The first steps are power, ram, audio card. Beyond that, there is much to discuss. Wink

studiocentral.com has a good forums group.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jokron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get a descent soundcard, i e M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or E-MU 0404.

If you buy the E-MU-card you also get a sequencer Cubase LE well enough to record some tracks.

Next is to get some drums VST, for example Groove Agent or EZ-drummer:

http://www.bornemark.se/ga/index.htm
http://www.steinberg.net/158_1.html
http://www.toontrack.com/product_demos.asp

And if you want a bassplayer:

http://www.bornemark.se/bb/index.htm
http://www.steinberg.net/160_1.html

On the other hand you can buy Band-in-a-box to get rythmtracks for practising and playing instead of the VTSi:s. But I still think you'll have to get that soundcard to get low latency, good soundquality and smooth handling. Get the BIAB-demo and try it out for yourself at:

http://www.pgmusic.com/

You can also tweak your PC according to http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php if you want to get the most out of your processor.

Some links on homestudiorecording:

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/ComputerRecording1.htm
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1818851,00.asp
http://www.home-studio-recording.com/index.html

And an excellent forum for Steinberg products like Groove Agent, Cubase, Virtual Bassist and more : http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/

Sound on sound at http://www.soundonsound.com/ has a huge library of articles.

Well, I think you have something to start with... Wink

We're looking forward to hear from you!

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jokron,

Thanks for the sites you gave here. Sounds like I ahve an idea on what to do with my PC. It was nice having this information. This will help a lot. If ever I can record one, I send you but I think too far to go yet. heheh

Anyway, thank you very much... I ask you later if I need help.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll do a little shameless self promotion here, with this link:

www.cdbaby.com/beaumontmusic

yes, all of the sounds are intentional--this is my experimental side, but everything here was recorded thru a Fostex MR8 hard disk recorder and edited in Cakewalk's Home studio, which is a 50 dollar program. Audio card is stock on my gateway laptop-- nothing fancy. Basically, sans microphones, the whole setup was less than 500 bones.

recording direct requires a few more things, but doing it the old fashioned way can be cool, and economical...
ďFor the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.Ē

Andres Segovia
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just visited the sites you suggested. How do I check the type of soundcard in comp?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzwat8takes wrote:
Hey guys,

Just visited the sites you suggested. How do I check the type of soundcard in comp?

If it's a windows system, the simplest way is:
go to Start->Run, enter 'dxdiag'.

It's a DirectX diagnostic containing a 'Sound' tab that will tell you what your audio interface is, dxdiag will also tell you just about anything you want to know about your system's multimedia devices as a whole.

ron45

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to do to have a great computer based recording platform is get a great computer. Buy a mac.

I just bought a pc to run the new BiaB with real drums. They may never figure how to do a good mac version. It's been one hassle after another. This is why most people switch to macs. And why most mac users are ex pc trouble shooters. I gave up on pcs ten years ago but I figured by now they'd be pretty similar. They most certainly are not. Also the inside of a computer is not the best place to have your A to D conversion going on.

Ron
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ron, for lack of a better way of putting it, donít scream ignorance so loudlyÖsomeone just might actually be listening. The vast majority of audio production going on these days is being done on PCís so please donít promote something itís pretty clear you donít understand the scope of.

If you like Apple, fine, just understand youíre in the extreme minority and for a reason.

ron45

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which majority would that be? When I was in LA the post production people were mostly on macs. People who count on computers 24/7 for income in the audio production world use macs. The ones who insisted on using pc's had a guy they paid 130.00 bux an hour everytime they wanted to change a driver. The vast majority of people love chevys and fords too. Does that make them good or just accessable? No question that more people use psc. Lots of them eat corn dogs too and watch tv 4 hours a day. That doesn't mean they are the pargon of lifestyles. I have both and have recently been reminded too much of the differences. Do you have both? Or how did you put it?....

Ron
hanni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good recording is not so easy, if my boyfrind make a video with a simple cam, my guitarplaying sounds much better like with audacity, iīm just checking different things and dont found what i realy want
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have both and certainly about 20 years ago apple had something to offer the PC didn't but that ended a long time ago. And now mac's are PC's, they use the same processors, buses and the only thing that really differs is the operating system.

Before I go much more, I've worked for Apple. It's not that I think its a bad platform, itís a bad company. I've simply seen way too much money charged for some esoteric BS and it's nothing more than a PC with an Apple logo on it. With the exception they also have shameful machine production standards. They'll ship garbage out that is certain to fail without hesitation to meet a deadline. I couldn't stand it. And they're still doing it. I even stopped writing software for apple OSís because itís just not worth the effort.

Now most of the hardware will go either way and the only difference is software. So if the software doesnít work properly, thatís the developer not the platform. Even Band In a Box (valued here by many players) is a very poorly written piece of software in itís native platform (Windows) so a port to mac would likely be really bad. But again, that has nothing to do with the machine.

ron45

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. You are obviously qualified to make comparisons. I hadn't heard about the rush to deadline practice and haven't experienced the result myself. Your point is well taken on the internal situation these days.

You are right about the BiaB code. After all these years I still can't get the newest pc versions to save volume changes. Do you or anyone here have success with saving volume changes? I've always been able to get it to save the numbers but it doesn't seem to send them to my K2500R next time I open the file.

Ron
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron45 wrote:

You are right about the BiaB code. After all these years I still can't get the newest pc versions to save volume changes. Do you or anyone here have success with saving volume changes? I've always been able to get it to save the numbers but it doesn't seem to send them to my K2500R next time I open the file.

Dude...that's a nice box! I've had unresolveable problems with it so I'm not much help. Even when trying to get my Proteus(s) (hardward & software) to work their response was something to the flavor of 'what do you expect of a $100 piece of software, we can't support everything'...not exact but very close. Confused So I resolved into using more simplistic midi modules with it. I've used it mostly for coming up with ideas and simply practice jams so it wasn't the end of the world.

I don't have BiaB in front of me and don't recall but believe there is a 'midi reset on open' setting that may help you. But it may be you're SOL and hope some day they'll gut the thing, completely rewrite the engine and start over. Confused

ron45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have voted for a code rewrite several times on the suggestions forum. Early on I got a disk for Krz. with a gm sound set on it. Then I just went in and swapped out better samples for the ones I use all the time, piano, vibes ac.bass and drums. Now I'll be using biab's drums. They sound better than the samples I was using and the playing is really fine. I've mostly been using the Terry Clarke drums. Haven't tried any of the other ones yet. Some of the other real instruments are fine in a mix maybe but I have no use for them except the ac. guitar in the samba, grooves. I get very accruate timing via an old MTPAV. It's just that damn volume thing but I will check into the reset midi thing. It's probably in the opt. menue.

Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: