PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how is the weather where you are?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nezumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: how is the weather where you are? Reply with quote

hey guys and gals,

Here in Northern Ontario, and in many other parts of Canada, we are having an unusally warm winter. No snow at christmas. Only one cold day until this week, -14'C (around 5'F?) not even really cold. it would be VERY unusual to have a winter without a -20'C night or day.
Now we have snow, but less than 10cm. hardly enough to ski.
Ski resorts are laying off staffers, due to lack of snow and cold weather. We'll get a little dump of snow, then the next day we'll get rain, and the snow will just melt away.
Out on Canada's west coast, there have been wicked wind storms nearly weekly, knocking out electricity for days on end.

I was wondering if unusual weather conditions are occuring where you are, and what you are noticing that could be considered as due to climate change.
I am especially curious about non-north american areas. Europe, South america, Asia.

I'd like to hear any thoughts any of you might have on this issue. ANY!
well i'd better get back to my guitar.....she beckons.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

record highs in boston. average temp is usually 30 or so, it's 40 this winter so far
cjm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live and work in the inland Pacific Northwest and although my home is in a very low elevation micro-climate zone characterized by generally mild winters, hot summers, in a high desert climate, I am surrounded by mountains with Canadian through high Alpine climate zones. My day job takes me into the mountains year around, and from November to June I have to spend a lot of time on snowmobiles. (Not by choice, either. I hate 'em.)

Although it has been fairly cold the past week, it is predicted to warm later this week, and thus far the winter has generally conformed to a recent, multi-year pattern in the high country that would have been thought odd thirty to forty years ago. There has been a fair amount of heavy wet snow and high winds capable of drifting that heavy snow 5-8 feet deep with temperatures rarely dropping much below the freezing mark.

Historically (and still when I began working at this job in the early 1970's), the typical mid-winter conditions were for there to be a lot of -20F to -50F temperatures and mostly dry powder snow up above 6,000 feet.

Not any more. Something is afoot...whether there is an anthropogenic component to this or not, I am unqualified to say, but the weather patterns in the nearby mountain ranges have seemed odd to me for the past several years.
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been colder than a witch smoking a cigarette with no bra on Laughing
I really feel for the homeless people who have to sleep whereever they can find, it's been in the 20 & 30's not that bad during the day but at night time and early morning too cold to go outside. later
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been weird warm for a long time, 64 deg F here right now usually being...well...winter! Laughing

I can remember Januarys in California being colder than it is in Maryland right now. Cool

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Bjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serrious sh*t is going on to our planet....... Confused

Human development is causing the rasing temeratures, leaving a ''Carbon-gas'' blanket (SP) around the planet, but, inside the athmosphere.
That means that heat canīt get out of our athmosphere....

50 years ago, the nature was still able to let pollusion out, but not in the same needed amount anymore. Its getting so critic that trees who are supposed to do this job, are having trouble taking care of theselves by now. (heard about that research made in the Amazonas on the news some days ago)

People finally seems to ahve opened their eyes to this, and the European union got together to discuss what to do.
One of the things was that in 2020, 10% of all cars, within Europe, should be driving on ecological gas.....

Anyway, here in Brazil we are feeling this too. Weather is completely out of normal.....

My mother (in Denmark) have had strawberries in her garden 3 times.... Laughing .
And spring flowers which are supposed to be seen in late march-april, stands high and beautyfull...... Confused ................

Bjørn.
taylorseward

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 today, but the high for three days from now is 41.
thane27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat nezumi is in...Im in southern ontario though so I have only seen snow twice or so this year. Its raining and cold though not freezing rain at the moment, which is good.
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind east 6-8 bft and +10 C sunny, last week was verry stormy 9-10 bft rain, many trees in the wood brake (the power, phone cable and pipes are underground in germany they canīt brake) no snow in our ski area and no touristīs, the hotest winter we ever had, the first flowers are coming, itīs crasy, iīm a ski fan and booooooohooo hooo Crying or Very sad , i do jogging throug the wood, Crying or Very sad snoooooow where are you Crying or Very sad iīm waiting and we put special weels on our carīs
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 70's a couple of days ago, now tonight we have freezing rain.
It's supposed to be 26 f tonight and all the elevated lanes of freeways
have ice and are closed. We usually have a few nights like this every winter
but up until now, it has been very warm this winter. More like a long
autumn.
PaulD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning it's 13 degrees (F) in Chicago, but for the last few weeks it's been much warmer than normal. We were also supposed to have several inches of snow by this morning, but the weather system just missed us, so we only have a very light dusting.

Paul
stupot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here in Wales, its raining. It always rain in Wales. Sad The only place ive been to that has more rain is British Columbia - particualrly Vancouver ! Wink
johnp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In New England I am discusted. I love the different seasons but we have been stuck in the 40's and 50's for months. I may be in the minority but I love the cold and the snow. I want to use my new snow thrower, have a snow ball fight with my kids and build a fire. Is that too much to ask?!
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnp wrote:
In New England I am discusted. I love the different seasons but we have been stuck in the 40's and 50's for months. I may be in the minority but I love the cold and the snow. I want to use my new snow thrower, have a snow ball fight with my kids and build a fire. Is that too much to ask?!

Pfft...I'm afraid I'm going to have to mow my lawn soon, it's starting to get a bit much. Rolling Eyes

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu, It's snowing in Kerrville today!! No snow in S.A. but lots of sleet and ice.

JohnP, you can come to Tex. and have a snowball fight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: