PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Epiphone Emperor Regent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Question about Epiphone Emperor Regent Reply with quote

I am looking for an decent acoustic/electric archtop that won't break the bank and that I won't be afraid to take on a gig. Has anyone owned or played an Epiphone Emperor Regent? It is the one with the single floating pickup. I have heard that the hardware will discolor, but can replace the tuners, etc and maybe get a Benedetto pickup. Just wondering about the overall sound/appearance/playability.

Ed
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played them and thought they were a pretty good guitar for the money!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
randyc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one and, for me, it's a wallhanger. I played it with regularity for a year or so (mainly trying to get use to the long scale). I never did care for the tone, but then I'm not a fan of floating pickups. (I bought the guitar for much the same reason as you describe: it was to be a "bar guitar". I didn't even bother getting a case for it ...)

My main objection was that the instrument would not STAY adjusted. I have a tried and proven procedure for setting up my instruments, the Emperor always responded perfectly to the procedure but would not remain in adjustment. The action varied from week to week, yet I could find no mechanical problems (glue joints, bracing, truss rod, and so on). I finally concluded that the Koreans had not used properly cured wood and hung the thing on the wall.

Other compaints were the tone control (the sweet spot occurred in about 1/100 of a turn, not an adjustment that could be easily made when quickly switching from accompaniment to solo) and the finish. The instrument was nice and glossy but the "sunburst" resembled no color that I've ever seen on a traditional instrument - it was almost red in places. That's a nitpick but it's one of those things that are important to me. A guitar that one plays frequently - and plays well - tends to have attributes that makes one WANT to pick it up and play ... action, tone, weight distribution and yes, finish.

I've heard others express nothing but satisfaction with this instrument so perhaps mine was unique. That was my experience with bargain guitars, I won't try it again. In my opinion, you get what you pay for.

cheers,
randyc
Bickertfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reply by randyc. I have only played that model in store and it did seem impressive, particularly for the money. I have owned good inexpensive imported guitars by Cort, PRS and Ibanez. Curently I have 2 hofners that get played constantly. For me there is some factor that is hard to pinpoint on the inexpensive guitars that makes them to me become less desirable over time. My hofners on the other hand were not any more impressive when I first received them, but over time they have become more valuable and personal to me and the cost factor was not as substantial as you might think. Also regarding the cost, I lost at least 50 percent selling my Cort, Ibanez etc and they were'nt supplied with a case - both came with PU's which I replaced etc. For me I don't think I will go down the road that way again.
goodkingbenson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach someone who has a natural finish regent - it plays like butter and felt not a million miles from my L-4CES and L-5CES that were several times more expensive. In fact because of the shallower body depth, it felt a little more comfortable

I thought about getting one for similar reasons as yourself; i.e gigging, however, through an amp, it lost it IMO. Even through a '65 RI twin reverb, the tone was quite thin and life-less in comparison to my carved top guitars - don't get me wrong, it was still good, but not *great* - and that sort of bugged me.

I did think about these for a while, but I just figured that I would then have some great guitars sat at home not doing anything - I'm now happy to take out high end archtops, but they stay in the case until and after I play, and whatsmore, they are still mint.

However, for a cheap archtop - I think you couldn't do better than a regent - the Eastman stuff has a good rep tho, but i'm not sure of the actual consistancy in quality...that's just me though - if you can find a nice regent and make great music on it - that's what matters.
thane27

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main guitar at the moment is a Emperor Regent. I was going to buy a higher end jazz guitar around 1500 range but I decided that why spend so much money when I don't exactly know what I want in a jazz guitar because I haven't tried everything...and as my playing evolves so will my taste in guitars. Anyways onto the guitar...Randy's problems seem very unique because with mine it holds tuning very well and the action has stayed for me perfectly so far. I haven't played it plugged in too much, but I have plugged into a polytone IV 15 inch model at lessons and a Roland jazz chorus 120. From either amp the stock pick sound very good. As for the sweet spot on the tone control it is subjective I can find it very easyly but your "sweet spot" maybe be in a different place. Aestically the guitar has acouple of flaws I have the natural finish. First there is abit of discoluration by the bridge only about as wide as the bridge its self at the widest point. You only can notice if you look. Second on the head stock their are afew paint seemers under the lacqour, once again you can only tell when you look. I have had many complements on this guitar from its looks and playabilty. The neck plays great for me, I have it set up with 12 -52s and it plays awsome.

I think it is a very good guitar for the money...I got mine used for 450 and there isnt a ding on it. I couldn't be happyer with it...
L4sleeko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Wow, what a coincidence as I was contemplating buying another one of these (will be my THIRD one). Shocked Cool
This was my first jazz guitar and I bought a natural one in 1999 for $900.00 including case. Traded her in toward my Gibby L4 in 2004. I should have kept that one, as I really did like it. Loved the looks (although the wood was a bit plain - for almost the same money, a D'angelico has much prettier laminate). Loved the idea of a floating pup. Was a bit large - hiked up my arm a bit.
I think it had a better tone than my L4, which is no slouch. Very deep and resonant.
Got the itch for one last June, so picked up one from E.M. Shorts for $625.00 including case - new. Another natural. Better, thinner finish than first one but quality of wood wasn't as nice as first. Also, binding around headstock wasn't quite right, and first fret inlay was crooked. Mad Wasn't a "second", but I think it should have been.

Both were made by Peerless in Korea. They state that they are making less, but better quality instruments, Rolling Eyes but I didn't see it. Second one sounded very good as well and had an excellent feel to it. Setup was spot-on.
Anyho . . . traded her in after one month cause I fell in love with my Campellone and didn't want things to get too cluttered.

I was thinking of trying a sunburst this time (somethin' different) cause I would like to have a 25 1/2 scale again. We'll see. I kinda talked myself out of it and then I saw this thread . . . who KNOWS where this will end up. Shocked
I really loved mine and put I it in the same league with all of my others sound and play-wise. And I like the idea that you can get a guitar for not-so-much that is just as enjoyable - for ME anyway - as my more expensive lot. S'why I enjoy my Ibanez so much - NO issues - everything perfect!
Sorry to be so long-winded, but I am very passionate about the Emperor.
Later Tater. Cool

?;^)~
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one, and i like it a lot. feels great--it's my go to acoustic instrument, actually. pretty solidly built, the tuners are okay, as long as you wipe down your hardware after a sweaty session and don't keep it in the case for months at a time i don't think it will tarnish-- mine hasn't.

plugged in, it's okay at best. but since it's more of my "couch strummer" or "front porch picker," i've never upgraded the pickup-- i know some have and really like the results...
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
ingeneri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
surfrider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read an earlier post of mine from September, I said that I purchased an Emperor Regent.

First, a little history. In 1999, I started to play again after virtually not picking up a guitar for ten years. (An unhappy marriage will do that.) I went to a nearby guitar megastore (you guessed it, Guitar Center) with the goal of purchasing the Emperor Regent. I was lucky that they did not have one in stock. I ended up purchasing the Gibson ES-175. I know I made the right choice. I know many of you may differ, but Gibson is still very cabaple of producing a good guitar.

Over the years, I have acquired a Steinberger (a surprise gift from my ex), a Gibson ES-137 Classic, a Stratocaster, and an Ibanez AF105FNT (a really good guitar that got good reviews). Each of these guitar fulfills various needs and I like the different sounds, feel, weight, portability, need for a "go to guitar," travel guitar, etc.

In fact the Strat was purchased for playing loud rock, blues, and fusion. The Steinberger was for travel until I could see that the Ibanez could travel well, thus its purchase. The ES-137 was purchased for its sound and also for playing at a bit higher volume than the ES-175. Besides, I like guitars and plan to collect them until I am unable to hold one up and play.

However, over the summer I was eyeing the Emperor Regent in the local guitar megastore. After about eight weeks, I went in and purchased it with about $100 off the price because the pick guard was all scratched up and missing the E logo from all the "test drivers" over the summer (which included me). Okay, so out the door without the case was $599. The case and extended warranty (I always warranty things over $200) added a bit.

Okay, so why did I buy this thing?--- It does not have a bad acoustic sound. It has really good tone through my Roland amps. The set up was good, despite the strings being crappy .11 round wounds (I am not a fan of Gibson Brite Wires, etc). It keeps my Gibsons in the case more often and in better shape. It is another great informal gigging and jamming guitar. I like the Grover tuners. It stays in tune. It is big. I also have seen/heard it played by some great jazz guitarists and it sounded great.

My opinion, if you want an inexpensive guitar for under $1000 I would either purchase this or the Ibanez AF105FNT.

Since the purchase of the Epiphone, I bought the Les Paul Studio in the wine red finish. If you want a real working guitar without the fancy binding, this is a good one. What a beautiful piece of wood. It is like an SG (boy, I miss my SG) being a nice hunk of wood that is for playing, not for show.

Next step, a carved archtop, but then you are talking real $$$$. More practice time is needed to sound like you really know how to play and convincing your significant other, family, and friends that it is okay to acquire such a thing. Besides, after playing the them in shops, there is only one thing that beats playing a carved top which I won't mention. (You will have to use your imagination.)

Yeah, get the Emperor Regent, then start collecting.

Surf's up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a the emporer regent in sunburst finish, remarkable fit and finish, no issues with tuning stability, action, tone and playability. The controls are well placed on the pickguard and easy to adjust. The guitar like larger bodied archtops is subject to feed back, which can be controlled by angle, amp placement etc., but i normally play it at relatively lower volume. and it has a pleasing tone unplugged. so it is a good late night instrument for playing/practicing etc. The one issue i had was a static sound when ever my hand came in contact with the screw on the pickguard. I looked under the pickguard and saw a small square electrical capacitor or whatever directly under and possibly touching the nut on the pickguard screw. I moved the capacitor/whatever over so that it wasn't making contact with the nut and the electrical problem was fixed. I also saw one in a guitar center and another music store, and they both had the input jack loose, another easy to fix item, hold input steady with small item so it does not turn and tighten the nut.

I am very happy with this guitar for jazz, In fact I just came home from playing it at a private party, (keyboard, bass, guitar drum) small band setting, 90 % of the songs were played with the drummer using brushes, I played it thru a twin reverb, again you have to be concerned with amp placement to controll feedback, i also made some f hole plugs out of fairly dense packing material. This has proven to assist with controlling feedback.

I think it is a good value, and really all you probably need, i am sure like most of us you will eventually want another guitar, but this is one that i would have no reason to replace or sell.
SUguitarguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one from the peerless factor. I was happy with it stock, not blown away. But then I upgraded the electronics, pickup bridge and tailpiece. It made a big difference. I recently posted about this in forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitars, Amps & Gizmos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: