PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C minor with A major intentions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: C minor with A major intentions Reply with quote

Does anyone has any comments on this...
Well maybe I should explain myself first.....

To take a Vamp, for this case its Cm. Then superimpose little fragments of the A major tonality.

For ex. 1 2 3 5 of A major (Any inversion allowed)
1 3 5 M7 of A. ( % )

Etc.....

Well, thats a way of playing that I like alot,
And here is a few of my favourites...

Cm with F# Major Intentions.

Cm with B Major intentions in relation to the D halftone-wholetone scale/C diminished.

And finally Cm with A Major intentions. This one is by the way frequently used by Jonh Scofield as well...

Hope to hear and get some other superimposing ideas from you....

Bjorn...
Christian

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I understand you - so over C minor (7)

C Eb G (Bb)

One would superpose A major (7)

A C# E

One could equally, presumably superimpose A minor, or Eb minor by the same token.

C major with F# intentions gives you Stravinsky's Petroushka chord, which was a favourite with Dave Brubeck...

These sorts of things relate to the kinds of bitonal things I've mentioned before - e.g. playing Gaint steps changes on static chords, and so on.

I think Brad Meldhau has an interestingly wayward sense of harmony that involves superimposing all sorts of funny things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: