PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idiocracy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Idiocracy... Reply with quote

Anybody see this movie? It's a comedy and pretty broad, but the concept is brilliant and pretty relevant, IMO.
ed norton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood makes about 3 great movies a year, and the main problem is casting. The publicity beurocracy favors the aristocracy. Only actors proven to have appeal in a certain role, get cast in big budget films. Owen Wilson as a moron is a good example, and that's why this movie will fail. He did a bang up job in "The Royal Tannenbaums", but he's failed miserably in every stupid role since. Neither him nor his brother have any substance as actors, like 98 percent of the turds who work in Hollywood. Angelina Jolie won an oscar for playing herself, a nut job; she can't act at all, and her husband is just as bad. Mickey Rourke, Sam Elliot, Keanu Reeves,Ashton Kutcher, and Wesley Snipes are the primest examples of completely inept actors who are dirty rich from bad movies and horrible performances.
So we have a couple young actors who really size up with the greats. For 30 something male leads there's Dicaprio and Edward Norton, maybe Matt Damon occasionally. Dicaprio shines in "The Departed" and in "Blood Diamond". He really gets it , he's become a great actor. Norton shined in "Primal Fear" as a kid, and gave a virtuoso performance in "American History X". The Hollywood babes ate his brain though, he's gone middle of the road and cashed in. His latest movies look pretty lame. Brando, Bogart, Nicholson, Deniro, Newman, Pacino, Denzel; now there are some craftsmen. Americans who actually studied the craft, rare birds.
Foreign films are usually always good , especially French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, and German. Recommendations are welcome.
andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you actually the Edward Norton of whom you speak so highly?
ed norton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No my forum name is modeled after Ed Norton of the Honeymooners, the 50's TV show. Why ,you didn't like American History X.? I thought it made a brilliant statement against violence and racial bigotry myself. The movie was well written and well acted; the characters were authentic and believable.
andy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, nothing to do with the film at all -- I was just joking. I liked the idea of lonely movie stars hanging out at random forums and talking themselves up. I really should've done this: Very Happy Very Happy !!!! Very Happy

I've heard good things about the movie, I'll check it out.

All best,
Andy

Very Happy Very Happy !! Very Happy
ed norton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check those Igiro. He was good in "Mask", but seems to get job after job playing the same character. Mickey Rourke I guess was good as a cartoon character, basically playing himself; Otherwise he is unwatchable for me. There was one were he and Keira knightley play Bounty Hunters and there crew was made up of Beverly Hills 90210 alumnus; Oh man instant cult classic, almost so bad it's good. I do like 1 star movies and 4 star movies, unfortuanetly 95 percent are either 2 or 3 star movies, middle of the road insults to the viewers.
ed norton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Sorry, nothing to do with the film at all -- I was just joking. I liked the idea of lonely movie stars hanging out at random forums and talking themselves up. I really should've done this: Very Happy Very Happy !!!! Very Happy

I've heard good things about the movie, I'll check it out.

All best,
Andy

Very Happy Very Happy !! Very Happy

Sorry too. Some people don't get the message of the movie. The violence is brutally graphic, and some people don't get the point.
I think there are lonely movie stars and pop stars who read these things,and who could blame them. Their possible presence is an entertaining thought, I agree. If I was Edward Norton I'd have Salma Hayek etched in my mind for ever, the memory of our romance would make me live till I'm 100.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Owen Wilson as a moron is a good example, and that's why this movie will fail. He did a bang up job in "The Royal Tannenbaums", but he's failed miserably in every stupid role since. Neither him nor his brother have any substance as actors, like 98 percent of the turds who work in Hollywood.

Wow. I'm actually a big fan of those guys, and I hated the Royal Tenenbaums. I don't know about them not having any substance, maybe you're reading to much into their recent roles? Don't forget, those guys like to work and make money, too, and it's hard to say "no" when someone is throwing 7 million dollar checks at you.

There's a good reason why the movie failed, and it has nothing to do with who's in it.

Actors are commodities- and they always have been. It's rare that someone gets to the point where they're no longer being used, and you can't judge someone on one or a couple films. Out of all those people you've listed- Snipes, Rourke, Keanu, etc- I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them in role if they fit regardless of if they're great actors or not, or how much depth they have. A guy like Keanu can be effective becasue he doesn't seem to have a lot of depth. It's all releative to the part and the impression you want to make on the viewer. Using someone that comes across like that has more than one purpose.

IMO- you rarely can blame the actors for making a good film or not. You can blame them if something wasn't succesfull finacially, but in a film they're simply the clay- and it's really up to the people that mold them. BTW, if you think Edward Norton has depth you should check out the movie he directed. I'm sure you'll feel differently. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: