PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing... me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beglitis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Introducing... me! Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking in this forum for quite some time and I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. Very Happy

I've been playing guitar for a few years, actually it must have been 10 years since I started, although I would say that I feel I haven't learned anything at all all this time. I bought a new guitar on impulse a few months ago, a Gibson LP Std, since I couldn't resist the temptation and the price was very good. Having such a fine instrument sitting next to my USA Stratocaster added insult to injury and made me pause a little bit and think about who I am to deserve such a nice equipiment and where I am going. The outcome was to decide to take my playing and music in general a little bit more seriously and stop being a couch potato and do something about it.

Until recently I didn't have a major interest in jazz, not because I didn't like it or admit its importance, but because it just happened. I came across the situation however where most of the books that are recommended to guitar players for serious study are somehow jazz oriented so I decided to start listening to jazz a little bit more often. Great music and it has definitely grown in me and it will grow more in the future.

My collection of books that I am focusing on is not that huge but I would say that they are the classics, William Leavitt, Ted Greene, Mark Levine and The Real Book for some tunes mostly. I really like Ted Greene's attitude, his books feel as if they where written for you with the nice discussions and motivation attempts and William Leavitt's method really suits me although I sometimes find it a little bit boring Sad I have to admit though that my piano training back when I was 9 or so proved to be very helpful since I can sightread. Abandoning the piano was the bigest mistake of my life, I am still banging my head on the wall.

In any case ( quite too much talking already heh ) happy to find you guys, I hope that my dull day to day activites won't make me lose my focus.

Cheers!
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Beglitis,
I think you'll find this forum to be a very close knit and extremely helpsul family of computer buddies. I'm learning jazz guitar as well as most of all on this website. This journey can sometimes feel like a slow boat to China but hey, you know how to read music or sight read, from playing piano so that in itself gives you some extra points. That's just my opinion, so hop on the raft and check out all the catagories of forums. later
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome beglitis!

I moved your post to the hangout area (no biggie).

Focus is a four letter word IMO, desire is not! Desire never leaves our souls, it kicks our butts until we do something about it!

Enjoy our family, and welcome to it! Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!, beglitis.
beglitis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your replies Smile

I was thinking about taking some lessons or maybe joining some school for part time study. In Athens ( Greece ) where I come from there are schools that you can attend on a weekly basis that do not offer degrees ( of course ) and are reasonably priced, something like $150 per month. Right now I live and study in London ( still in college, don't ask hehe ) but I have absolutely no idea on what the situation looks like here. If anyone knows anything relevant that would be really great! Private lessons would be nice as well although I wouldn't like to carry my guitar around. I feel that lessons will make the whole process even more exciting!

Cheers!
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Focus is a four letter word IMO

Gorecki, man maybe you missed your vocation as a drummer. Wink Wink Wink

Seriously, as I said before. everyone appreciates your efforts on our behalf.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
Quote:
Focus is a four letter word IMO

Gorecki, man maybe you missed your vocation as a drummer. Wink Wink Wink

Seriously, as I said before. everyone appreciates your efforts on our behalf.

Yeah, yeah yeah, you know what I ment. Laughin my arse off

Thanks man! Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: