PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oriondk

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself. I haven't been here in quite awhile, years, as a matter of fact. This place as really grown. I quit coming here basically because there really wasn't much going on. It was pretty small when I was last here.
Anyway, my name is Dave. I started playing guitar when I was in the Army in the late 60's. I was in an army band as a trumpet player, not a very good one, I might add. That's where I got interested in jazz, mostly as a listener. I mostly started learning classical, but always wanted to get into playing jazz. Pretty much gave up playing in the early 70's after my daughter was born. Picked it up for about a year in the early 80's and screwed around with rock and blues. Then about two years started to get back into it, mostly focusing on jazz. Can't say I've progressed all the much. Took lessons for about a year, but the instructor wasn't really the greatest. Good player, just not the greatest teacher. I've got a decent grasp of theory, but just don't or can't put it to good use on guitar, at least not consistantly. Of course, working fifty hours a week doesn't really give me the time to work on music like I want, so I just look at it as a hobby, and try to keep it fun.
Oh, I did play with what they called the studio band in college, so I did get a little experience with jazz.
I'm mostly self taught, except for the recent lessons I took, but I can read music and took classical theory in college, so I'm not totally ignorant about jazz.
So, there you have it. Hope to learn a lot here and contribute what I can.
Oh yeah, I have a Gibson SG, an LP Standard, and just picked-up a Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins a couple months ago. I switch back an forth between the LP and Gretsch mostly.

Dave
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Oriondk. This is a great forum. Lots of knowledge and inspiration.
hanni

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome, itīs a cool place here, i teach myself too Laughing but not so long like you Laughing
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Oriondk. You're right, this place has really grown. Great people always willing to help out and of course Goreki has done an outstanding job as moderator!

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just peaking my head in to say hello!

Hey Paul, thanks man! Wink

Paul, To derail Orion's thread (don't mean too) Have you been over to 'Pop's jazz club'? I friend of mine Henry Johnson's been playing there and I was wondering if you've caught him? All I have is recorded stuff and I be he kick's bootie live.

Okay, back to regularly scheduled new member abuse, already in progress! Laughin my arse off

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:

Hey Paul, thanks man! Wink

Paul, To derail Orion's thread (don't mean too) Have you been over to 'Pop's jazz club'? I friend of mine Henry Johnson's been playing there and I was wondering if you've caught him? All I have is recorded stuff and I be he kick's bootie live.

No, I haven't had a chance to check Henry & The Organ Express out yet, but I had heard about them from a friend. Sound like I should go catch them. Thanks.

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
No, I haven't had a chance to check Henry & The Organ Express out yet, but I had heard about them from a friend. Sound like I should go catch them. Thanks.

Well, I'm really glad you could at least make sense of my post! Sheez..guess I was really tired... Laughing

Peace!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: