PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the best ????
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Who is the best ???? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
I just thought it would be fun if everyone named one guitarist who you think is above all>(living or not)

Now I know there are so, so many good ones but if you could take lessons with just one who would it be?
I figure this way we might all find out some interesting names.
Peace
Jacek

P.S. My all time favourite would have to be Paco De Lucia. I know he's is not a jazz but rather a flamenco guitarist but after seeing him play in concert with Al Dimeola and John Mclaughlin, well... he just about blew them off stage, even when they played stuff that was much more jazz then flamenco.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who is the best ???? Reply with quote

[quote="Jacek"] if everyone named one guitarist ?

Hi Jacek,

I think we have a lot of Good guitarist in the word. For me a good guitarist must have to "thing":

1) he play clearly and cleanly (of course a good music),
2) a good pedagogy id the capacity to tranfert their knowlege.

Because i think the music is for everybody. If the guitarist or another instruments can't abstact is knowlede and tranfert it all of their knowlege die with him.

For the best guitarist who have this distinction is the Barry GALBRAITH for convince you see his transcriptions here.

http://www.guitarlessons.co.nz/Files/PDF's/Galbraith.pdf

Rabe from France
Jacek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Galbraith Reply with quote

Hey Rabe,
Thanks a lot for those transcriptions.
I am enjoying them very much.
I have never heard of Galbraith before. It's great to find out about new guitarists like this.
Thanks for sharing.
All the best,
Jacek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I my favourite player above all is Jim Hall!

He has fantastic voicings and a great tonelanguage! He has got sense for lines that nobody else haves....

// John Hall
Anton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Best guitarist Reply with quote

Well, that's an endless discussion, who's the best...

I would mention Belgian Philip Catherine with his recent Summer night CD as my current favorite

Not a spam: Visit his personal page www.philipcatherine.com
neilzworld

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: The best guitarist? Reply with quote

Hmmmm......apples, pears, oranges, bananas.....
Can they be compared?

If I could have one-on-one lessons, or just watch and drool for a while, I guess I'd have to go for Pat Metheny. Awesome technique and music that speaks from the heart.

Then again.........I quite like it when Alan Holdsworth goes bananas too...
invictus33

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the CD "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery", that settled the debate for me right there. Wes is just great.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Pass is my man.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with John. Definetly Jim Hall. Just listen. Who does that?

Kelvin
marcoturco

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: TONINHO HORTA Reply with quote

At first I thought ..."well..Jim Hall , a guitar player of one kind, if it has to be just one ..BUT

then I thought..My dream a couple of times turned into reality, because y friend TONINHO HORTA when comes to Italy uses his time practicin',playing,eating,visiting St.Peter's Basilica with me (among some good friends he has in Rome)...WE SHOULD TALK MORE ABOUT THISBRAZILIAN GUITAR PLAYER , he's a wonderful player, a good friend, and a "MAESTRO" for Pat Metheny (we talked about him one night in Perugia).Recently I asked JohnStowell and Sid Jacobs about this fantastic composer/arranger and a master guitar player, it's wonderful to see all great talents to agree about another unique talent like my good amigo TONINHO HORTA. I just dream about Brazil, after you TONINHO!
benj blackmore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have to agree - Jim Hall is unique. I also really like Peter Bernstein who plays in Larry Goldings' trio:

www.larrygoldings.com
Jazz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To choose just one!...........humnnnnnnn!
I love all the guys already mentioned............Jim Hall, Phillipe Catherine, Joe Pass, Wes, Toninho, Pat Metheny, everyone of them............ even those Marco mentioned not as favorite ones, but friends: John Stowell and Sid Jacobs...................but also Im remembering...........Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, Jack Wilkins, man! Joe Diorio, Ted Greene, Ron Eschete, Mick Goodrick, Pat Martino,.............. Waw!............ I should stop by now, Im hungry.......
No, I think Im not able to say just one, definitively I cant............ I really love so many........
Daniel
bluenote908

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: best... Reply with quote

George Benson.... that man has it all... soul, power, speed, agility, finesse, style. I recently saw a live concert of his on BET, it's incredible how he can flow seamlessly from a solo chord melody rendition of Danny Boy, to singing with a big band, to playing funky afro-cuban jazz, to straight up dance music. Amazing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Wes Montgomery

He is so brilliant on the DVD: legends of jazz guitar, Wes live from Belgium 1965, top class solo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Burrell, what a great sound and feeling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: