PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the best ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most interesting and innovating guitarist: KURT ROSENWINKEL. The Time will give him the prestige

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john mayer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Hall once said the only time he gets nervous is when Ed Bickert walks in the room.
Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: There is no best... Reply with quote

invictus33 wrote:
I just picked up the CD "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery", that settled the debate for me right there. Wes is just great.

Now you're talking jazz, I don't believe there is one "greatest" guitarist, but musicians like Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, and George Benson (when he's playing jazz) are the top trio in jazz guitar. They ooze swing with every note they play.

By the way, Duke Ellington did have a favorite jazz guitarist and it was Kenny Burrell!

Anyone who hasn't heard the song "Delilah" played by Wes Montgomery and Milt Jackson, please download it, buy it, steal it if you have to! It's sublime, it's delicious, and delovely. Smile
fretboard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: best jazz guitarist Reply with quote

The guys with the "grips."

Ed Bickert
Jim Hall
Barney Kessel
Joe Pass
Tal Farlow
George Van Eps
Alan Holdsworth
Wes, George, Both Pat M.'s,
Grant, Kenny
Scott Henderson
John Scofield
Mike Stern
John McLaughlin
Ron Eschete
Gene Bertoncini
Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: best jazz guitarist Reply with quote

fretboard wrote:
The guys with the "grips."

Ed Bickert
Jim Hall
Barney Kessel
Joe Pass
Tal Farlow
George Van Eps
Alan Holdsworth
Wes, George, Both Pat M.'s,
Grant, Kenny
Scott Henderson
John Scofield
Mike Stern
John McLaughlin
Ron Eschete
Gene Bertoncini

That's quite a list of greats, although you forgot Kenny Burrell, he has the grips too, but antibiotics solved the problem.

One young guitarist that seems to have it all is Jimmy Bruno, maybe the best young jazz guitarist playing today. Didn't Ed Bickert play in Rosemary Clooney's band? He's good and Canadian, that makes him great. Joe Pass is a tremendous virtuoso with great technique, but sometimes his playing is a little too mechanical and pedantic. Tal Farlow is the speed demon, what ever happened to him?
Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is the best ???? Reply with quote

Quote:
P.S. My all time favourite would have to be Paco De Lucia. I know he's is not a jazz but rather a flamenco guitarist but after seeing him play in concert with Al Dimeola and John Mclaughlin, well... he just about blew them off stage, even when they played stuff that was much more jazz then flamenco.

He's a great guitarist and you're right, he is not a jazz musician and never will be, even if practices jazz on the side he would never be a great musician. Al Dimeola was never a great jazz guitarist, he has speed and more speed, where's the swing? Nowhere.

I'd love to see Paco De Lucia play with the likes of George Benson, in my humble opinion, Paco would be lost in a world he doesn't understand. Actually it would be a great combo. I've been playing jazz guitar for about 25 years and it took me sooooooooo long to develop that sense of swing, it came long after the physical part of developing a good technique, and theory. Also important is how much jazz you've listened to; it helps if you're parents were jazz lovers.
jazzman930

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: favorite jazz guitarists Reply with quote

#1 whould have to be Jeff Golub. This guy has so much soul... it`s not the speed - it`s not the complexity - it`s just the tonal voice in which he plays it... Changed the feel of [smooth jazz]. #2 Three words - Charlie Christian.....UNBELIEVABLE ! All Down Strokes... WOW.
Jacek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

well... I must say when i was posting this sort of naive topic I did have my doubts, I know there isnt any single best player, but you guys are great...
I have found out about some great names, and Its really fascinating to see who is popular among guitar players..

keep writing,
Thanks
Jacek from Toronto
bumkneezman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Best Jazz Guitarist? Reply with quote

Hank Garland because he inspired me 40+ years ago to learn to play Jazz guitar.
Sir Chandresque

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Best Jazz Guitarist Reply with quote

for his mature and highly developed sense of musicality, his skill at creating long and meaningful melodic phrases, for putting his extraordinary technical ability at the disposal of his musical language, for his stylistic depth and range, for pushing the jazz envelope with his amazing compositions and for inspiring me to press on further into my own jazz guitar playing, it can only be Pat Metheny.
Jazz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Great Guitarist Reply with quote

check out Jimmy Rosenberg, 20 something years old---SMOKIN
pxs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Jeff Parker #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Lenny Breau! This guy is incredible! He will blow almost anyone out of the water with his technical proficiency.
Guitarstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the early "Jazzers" are the best :

Innovator : Charlie Christian
Virtuoso : Joe Pass
Swinger : Herb Ellis
Risk Taker : Barney Kessel
Trend Setter : Charlie Byrd
Forgotten Legend : George Barnes
Brooding : Jim Hall
Big Bopper : Tal Farlow
Unique : Wes Montgomery
Rhythm Master : Freddie Green
Soulful : Kenny Burrell
Flame Keeper : Jimmy Bruno

To name a few.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: