PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the best ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beancounter856

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Conti hands down!!!

www.robertconti.com

He leaves everyone in the dust!
prin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: JM Reply with quote

Hello! I am sorry if my english is bad because I am Thai guitarist. I think this is good idea for talking about great guitarist in this world. For me I like John Mclaughlin because he always have the difference and new idea in his playing. And last thing I see he have new sound of guitar in every year

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although wes is incredible.......i hate to say.........that pat is a god
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal Collins was a great player. Listen to "Interplay" (Cal Collins with Herb Ellis, and Ray Brown & Jake Hanna: Concord Label). Superb from start to finish.

Also - Grant Green. "Idle Moments" ranks up there with the greatest jazz guitar albums of all time...along with Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue, and just about anything by Barney Kessel (although Let's Cook! is a favourite).
detroitred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say Jimmy Bruno (today, tomorrow it might change).
Steve Ellis (from oz)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Thanks Rabe Reply with quote

Thanks Rabe (from France) for the great link to the Galbraith book!!!
There is an Aerbersold book by Galbraith called guitar comping that is excellent too. Unfortunately I can offer no link, but worth the purchase.
steve ellis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

Best guitarist? Miles Davis (oh yes , you just don't get it!)
Purpletwo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: So Many Greats... Reply with quote

Straight Jazz

Kenny Burrell
Wes
Pat Martino
Pat Metheny
Mark Whitfield
George benson
Russell Malone
Anthony Wilson

Smooth Jazz

Norman Brown
Aaron Benson
Doc Powell
George Benson
Jeff Golub

Acid Jazz

Ronny Jordan
Aaron Benson
Zachary Breaux
eljazzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: UNBELIEVABLE OMMISSION FROM ALL LISTS ABOVE!!! Reply with quote

I just can't believe the first most incredible guitarist has not been mentioned.

This guitarist has inspired Joe Pass, Kessel, Benson, thousands of other guitarists, and will always do for eternity.

Django Reinhardt
Gibsonman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Aaron Benson????? Reply with quote

Everyone keeps raving about Aaron Benson as the new guy on the block. Has anyone got any more stuff on him. l keep hearing his songs on the radio but all they do is recommend the C.D. without any further info. Is there any guitar mag interviews or websites l can visit???
Jazz_Metheny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Pat Metheny Reply with quote

I would have to say that my favorite jazz guitarist is Pat Metheny. He has a sound unlike no other and a great tone. When he improvises it never gets boring. Very Happy
H. Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barney Kessell
chip

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

depends on the week for me ...right now i listen to alot of Ted Dunbar and i just love Tal Farlow for being so good and walking away from it cause he wanted to paint sighns...lol...i love it.
MR SILVER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: WHO EVER PUT ONE GUYS NAME-DONT BE AN IDIOT ALL YOUR LIFE Reply with quote

WHO EVER PUT ONE GUYS NAME-DONT BE AN IDIOT ALL YOUR LIFE
PLAYING ANY INSTRUMENT FOR ANY MUSICIAN IS NOT ABOUT TECNICAL ABILITY........ITS ABOUT PASION.......AND HONEST PLAYING........FOR EXAMPLE: BB KING ONCE PLAYED ABOUT 4 NOTES AT A REAL SLOW PACE NOW I ASK YOU HOW TECHNICAL IS IT TO PLAY 4 NOTES AT A REAL SLOW PACE? WELL NOT VERY IS IT .....MY POINT IS THAT THSOE FOR NOTES BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE....AND I WASNT IN A SENTIMANTAL MOOD BECAUSE IM ONE OF THE MOST PHLEGMATIC PEOPLE THAT YOU COULD EVER KNOW WHEN IM NOT PLAYING MY GUITAR.........HOWEVER IT SHOWS THAT MUSIC ISNT TECHNICAL ABILITY ......IT SHOWS THAT MUSIC IS AN EMOTION.......A PALPABLE ENTITY THAT SURPASSES ANY TECHNICAL JARGON AND KNOW HOW..... ITS NOT WHAT YOU PLAY ITS HOW YOU PLAY IT.......ITS SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN NEVER LEARN FROM A BOOK..........LOOKING AT THE VERY FISRT ENTRY OF THIS POST I WOULD SAY THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.............HOWEVER I DO HAVE A LIST OF PEOPLE WHO I FEEL HAVE THE ABILITY TO PLAY REAL MUSIC.....NOT BECAUSE IVE HEARD THEM PLAY A SUCCESSION OF 2,000 ODD NOTES........BUT BECUASE IVE ACTUALLY FELT EVERY INDIVIDUAL NOTE THAT THEYVE PLAYED........YOU KNOW THAT FEELING THAT DOESNT CREEP THROUGH YOUR EARS.......ITS THE ONE THAT PENETRATES YOUR SKIN, FLESH AND BONES AND SITS IN YOUR SOUL.......PEOPLE WHO I HAVE HEARD WITH THE ABILITY TO DO THIS ARE AS FOLLOWS........ALSO BEFORE YOU LOOK AT THE LIST, ILL JUST NOTE THAT IVE HEARD PEOPLE WHO ARENT FAMOUS WHO ALSO HAVE THIS ABILITY......AND PEOPLE WHO ARE FAMOUS WHO VERY MUCH DONT HAVE THIS ABILITY.........LIST AS FOLLOWS.....INCLUDING NONE GUITARISTS.........THE LIST I SHOULD ALSO CONFIRM IS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.......EACH NAME SITS PARALEL WITH ONE ANOTHER ON A VERY SPECIAL PLATEU THAT THEY HAVE REACHED AND IT CANT BE SURPASSED.........IF YOU AS A MUSICIAN WANTS TO NOT ACTUALLY LEARN HOW A MUSICIAN PLAYS BUT YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO LEARN HOW AN INSTUMENT SHOULD SOUND WHEN PLAYED, THEN I ADVISE YOU TO LISTEN TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF THE FOLLOWING: LISTENING TO THESE WILL BE BETTER THAN ANY LESSIN YOU'LL PAY FOR FROM ANYWHERE.

STEPHAN GRAPELLI-VIOLIN
DJANGO REINHARDT-GUITAR
WES MONTGOMERY-GUITAR
WYNTON MARSALIS-TRUMPET
ART BLAKEY-DRUMS
LEE MORGAN-TRUMPET
RAY BROWN-BASS
HERB ELLIS-GUITAR
JOSHUA REDMAN-SAX
MARTIN TAYLOR-GUITAR
BUDDY RICH-DRUMS
CASANDRA WILSON-VOCALS
ERIC LEWIS-PIANO
DIZZY GILLESPIE-TRUMPET
RON CARTER-BASS
RUSSEL MALONE-GUITAR-HEART STRINGS
JIMMY WILLIAMS-PIANO
BILLY PEARCE-SAX
CHARLES FAMBOROUGH-BASS
GORDON DEXTER-SAX
BOBBY HUTCHERSON-VIBRAPHONE
GARRY BURTON-VIBRAPHONE
JOHN PIZZARELLI-GUITAR
PACO DE LUCIA-GUITAR
BB KING-GUITAR
WAYNE SHORTER-SAX
TERRANCE BLANCHARD-TRUMPET
ELLA FITZGERALD-VOCALS
DIANA KRALL-PIANO+VOCALS
STANLEY JORDAN-GUITAR X2
MICHALE JARE-PIANO
PHIL WOODS-SAX
MONTEY ALEXANDER-PIANO
DUKE ELLINGTON-PIANO
HORACE SILVER-PIANO
JOHN COLTRANE -SAX
JOE PASS-GUITAR
STOCHELLO-GUITAR
ANTORO DUSAVAL-TRUMPET MAILY BUT CAN PLAY MOST INSTRUMENTS
AND I ALSO SOMETIMES HAVE MY MOMENTS. SO THATS ME-GUITAR

I SUGGEST THAT YOU MAKE IT YOUR BUSINESS AS A MUSICIAN TO LISTEN TO ALL OF THEM...........SOONER OR LATER YOU'LL NOTICE A VERY IMPORTANT TREND......THAT ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT THEY ARE PLAYING........BUT ACTUALLY HOW THEY ARE PLAYING........

I CANT BOW LOW ENOUGH TO THE AFOREMENTIONED MUSIC MAKERS AND IT HUMBLES ME EVERYTIME I LISTEN TO THEIR SOUL........A BEUTIFUL EXPERIENCE RECCOMENDED TO ANY BODY WITH A PULSE.......

SO NOW YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chip

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

LOL who the hell are you ranting on? Deep breaths friend.... good for that soul of yours. Is it the barney kessell guy your talking about? Cause if it is i must say i have heard some of barneys stuff that really swings...and to me swingin is a great and real emotion. Anyway, *shrugs*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: