PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snapier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Tab Reply with quote

Question I don't read music...yet. I bought Chris's system because I like his music and his ability to improvise & 'melodicize', and because I thought it would provoke me to learn to read. But...time is of the essence and the practice I do is pointed and performance oriented. If anyone has Tabbed the musical examples Chris uses in his system I'd be Very interested in obtaining a copy. I'm surprised that some of the articles/lessons on the site have Tab accompanying them, yet Chris is so adamant about learning to read...but that's OK. I'm sure I'd be much better if I did read, but, as I say...time is very limited with playing not being my primary vocation.
Help?
Thanks,
snapier
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Tab Reply with quote

Hi Snapier,

I would be interested to know if you got a good deal out of my course even though you don't read music. Clearly you would miss out on the music examples but there are a good deal of exercises and graph examples (horizontal fretboard movement etc) that I wonder how much you actually benefited from it?

Regarding the TAB thing. I'm sure at some point I will knuckle down and include tab in the examples - I might have to find the time!! But there are so many folks that don't read and for some reason won't learn (whether it is time available or other reason) that it sure would be an advantage if it was part of the course. I guess my excuse is that I never learned it, I learned to read at a very early age. Also, I think most importantly, that I aimed the course at intermediate and advanced players and assumed that they would be able to read the dots. Oh well...

Anyway, good luck with the course...post any thoughts here, I will pop back from time to time.
GardnerSTG

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Play What You Hear Reply with quote

Dear Chris,
I haven't ordered your course yet. Sorry. Money is tight and so is time. I already have a full time job and 2 part-time gigs. Snapier and I are in the same boat - I don't read musical notes worth squat. Just picked up the guitar and used chord diagrams to get going. Sure, I'll continue to learn about notation, but now your course sounds more daunting. The benefit of TAB is that we can see where you choose to play the notes on the neck. It can be immensely helpful. I'm often surprised in good ways and bad ways by a guitarist's choice for chords placements or location for soloing. I hope you will seriously consider adding TAB to your materials. Thanks.
snapier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tab Reply with quote

PlayJazzGuitar wrote:
Hi Snapier,

I would be interested to know if you got a good deal out of my course even though you don't read music. Clearly you would miss out on the music examples but there are a good deal of exercises and graph examples (horizontal fretboard movement etc) that I wonder how much you actually benefited from it?

Regarding the TAB thing. I'm sure at some point I will knuckle down and include tab in the examples - I might have to find the time!! But there are so many folks that don't read and for some reason won't learn (whether it is time available or other reason) that it sure would be an advantage if it was part of the course. I guess my excuse is that I never learned it, I learned to read at a very early age. Also, I think most importantly, that I aimed the course at intermediate and advanced players and assumed that they would be able to read the dots. Oh well...

Anyway, good luck with the course...post any thoughts here, I will pop back from time to time.

Reply:

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I really like the course and very much want to learn, in depth, what you've included in it. I'm working on it, but very slowly.
Unfortunately...I listen and apply what I can, but then my increasing thirst for your knowledge is cut short because I'll hit a section that is only discernable to note-readers. That's frustrating.
I've thought about it a bit--I surely am not criticizing you for not doing TAB; I understand whom you've geared the course for, and, if my life circumstance were different, I might be one of those...I love the guitar and playing..would love to be able to be a side-man some day...but I don't think that'll happen soon, as I just can't spend the discretionary time I do have on learning to read. I'm not a natural, so I have to work hard on scales, arp.s, and creativity. That doesn't leave much time for reading studies.
I wonder if there might be someone who's a good reader who'd 'do' the TAB for you...you are certainly gaining a lot of fans with the last few albums and it would probably increase sales of your course significantly.
It might require a slightly different paradigm on your part, though, eh?
Oh, well. If you can do it, please do. If not...I'm glad I bought the course, anyway. When I find someone's playing I like a lot, I want to know what they're thinking, musically, and how they got to where they are, and then apply that to my playing. It's frustrating to know that I'm limiting myself by not reading...there's so much more that I could do. But, since most of us are not readers, fortunately, nearly everything you would want to learn is available in TAB or diagrams, in addition to note/staff. Nearly everything.
I'm sure in your higher circles that everyone can read. But, 'down here on the ground' even the local pro's I know read very little, if at all. You were blessed to get reading instruction at an early age. I suppose the deal is just making good music, comin' out of what's inside you. Reading is just a tool of expression and recording, like a CD, but different format, maybe. Thanks for your time...looking forward to your next CD effort.
BTW, locally, they just axed my smooth jazz station. Do you find that S.J., or adult contemp. or whatever is falling off, at all? So many people had that as their primary listening station, but radio stations sometimes just change formats overnight and, poof!, they're no longer cinderella, but the evil, heavy rap step-sister! What's up, any ideas?
Thanks, so much, again.
snapier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I really like the course and very much want to learn, in depth, what you've included in it. I'm working on it, but very slowly.
Unfortunately...I listen and apply what I can, but then my increasing thirst for your knowledge is cut short because I'll hit a section that is only discernable to note-readers. That's frustrating.
I've thought about it a bit--I surely am not criticizing you for not doing TAB; I understand whom you've geared the course for, and, if my life circumstance were different, I might be one of those...I love the guitar and playing..would love to be able to be a side-man some day...but I don't think that'll happen soon, as I just can't spend the discretionary time I do have on learning to read. I'm not a natural, so I have to work hard on scales, arp.s, and creativity. That doesn't leave much time for reading studies.
I wonder if there might be someone who's a good reader who'd 'do' the TAB for you...you are certainly gaining a lot of fans with the last few albums and it would probably increase sales of your course significantly.
It might require a slightly different paradigm on your part, though, eh?
Oh, well. If you can do it, please do. If not...I'm glad I bought the course, anyway. When I find someone's playing I like a lot, I want to know what they're thinking, musically, and how they got to where they are, and then apply that to my playing. It's frustrating to know that I'm limiting myself by not reading...there's so much more that I could do. But, since most of us are not readers, fortunately, nearly everything you would want to learn is available in TAB or diagrams, in addition to note/staff. Nearly everything.
I'm sure in your higher circles that everyone can read. But, 'down here on the ground' even the local pro's I know read very little, if at all. You were blessed to get reading instruction at an early age. I suppose the deal is just making good music, comin' out of what's inside you. Reading is just a tool of expression and recording, like a CD, but different format, maybe. Thanks for your time...looking forward to your next CD effort.
BTW, locally, they just axed my smooth jazz station. Do you find that S.J., or adult contemp. or whatever is falling off, at all? So many people had that as their primary listening station, but radio stations sometimes just change formats overnight and, poof!, they're no longer cinderella, but the evil, heavy rap step-sister! What's up, any ideas?
Thanks, so much, again.
snapier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
So sorry I doubled my response. Sorry to waste space.
snapier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: TAB Reply with quote

Good news! PWYH version 2.0 is on its way. Complete with TAB. Should be available in a few weeks.

Chris
to all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: tab Reply with quote

Even though I started on Tab charts and find them helpful for orienting certain phrases to the fingerboard, learnng to read music is so easy to accomplish, especially for anyone who plays an instrument already.

I would recommend that every musician learn the basics of reading notation.After all, you only have to read a book once to grasp the story.

once you got it, it won't go away
snapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: PWYH 2.0!!!!! Reply with quote

Super!! I just logged in for the first time in a long while and saw that you had done a really outstanding upgrade to PWYH. I'm so glad you took the time to work out the TAB, and, very much so, the playing examples to go with all of it. I don't think you'll be sorry, economically, anyway, as I believe many will purchase your new version. Wondering: are there any upgrade files for previous purchasers at a reduced price? I saw you have the whole program for $97...which is worth it...but since many of us bought the version 1.0 already, can we upgrade just the improvement files for less $$?
Way to go, Chris. I'm very excited about the new version! Look forward to beginning to run, instead of crawl. Thanks, very much!!
snapier
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: PWYH 2.0 upgrade Reply with quote

Yes you certainly can upgrade for a discount. Go to:

http://www.playjazzguitar.com/upgrade.html

I'm here for any questions.

I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but this new version is 10 times the improvement over the last one. I'd love to know what you think.

Chris
snapier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: version 2.0 Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Chris, and thanks for making it so affordable for previous version user's. I just put in the order, so I'm looking forward to hearing from you with the answer mail. I buy absolutely many, many teaching books and vdeos, as much as I can. None of them, I believe, have the potential that your course has, for me, at least. Just going over version 1.0, though I don't read, whetted my appetite to try and transcribe the notation. Now, you've done a real service to me and, I'm sure, many others by putting TAB and you're own playing of examples in the new version.
I can't wait. I've got some stuff coming up that it will directly impact, as soon as I can get it and spend some hours working with it.
Thanks, thanks! I certainly will let you know what I think, as soon as I can spend some time with it. I appreciate your asking for my input; I'm not a pro, but I consider myself an intermediate, perpetual student.
I'm looking forward to your next music CD, by the way...can you reveal when that might be coming out? I really enjoyed the groove & your work on 'Groovaliscious'.
Thanks, again!
snapier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: