PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pat Martino; The Nature of guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shopdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Pat Martino; The Nature of guitar Reply with quote

Being new to this forum I thought I'd try a little poll on how many are familiar with Pat Martino and his incredible musings on what he calls The Nature of Guitar.
I realize Guitar player magazine just ran an article recently on this topic but Pats website www.patmartino.com has posted in depth coverage for quite some time.
The man, besides being one of the best players in this galaxy, is also a true genius; how anybody could see the corrolation between the I-Ching and the fretboard and explain it the way he does is almost incomprehensible. Question
There is a lot of very interesting data coming through this man and I for one feel blessed that he's still with us. Very Happy
Let us know what you think.
Regards...
shopdog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pat Martino; The Nature of guitar Reply with quote

shopdog wrote:
Being new to this forum I thought I'd try a little poll on how many are familiar with Pat Martino and his incredible musings on what he calls The Nature of Guitar.
I realize Guitar player magazine just ran an article recently on this topic but Pats website www.patmartino.com has posted in depth coverage for quite some time.
The man, besides being one of the best players in this galaxy, is also a true genius; how anybody could see the corrolation between the I-Ching and the fretboard and explain it the way he does is almost incomprehensible. Question
There is a lot of very interesting data coming through this man and I for one feel blessed that he's still with us. Very Happy
Let us know what you think.
Regards...

You know, Websters defines genius as someone having great and original creative ability in some art or science with strong disposition or inclination.
That about tells it like it is.
How many of us can say we played with 'Trane in our early twenties? And played well?
If you haven't, check out Pat Martino's records and absorb some Concept.
Jacek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Nature of the guitar Reply with quote

Oh man,,,,
I went and checked out Pat Martinos website and the "Nature of the Guitar" following your advice.
Damn,
I can honestly say its waaay over my head at the moment, some heavy business.
It seems really cool though so i will pursue the topic,, thanks

Jacek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Pat Martino; The Nature of guitar Reply with quote

Yes it's some pretty heady stuff.
Here's a guy who's been so far ahead of his time, his whole life, it's unreal.
And it comes through in his playing!
Some Guest

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain the charts that are shown at the website? I have a faint idea of what is going on, but just can't relate it to a practical approach.

I am correct to say that Pat Martino approaches his solos in a more vertical approach? That is, approaching the song by looking at the chords and not the key of the phrase. And he uses a modal approach.

Could someone kindly enlighten me regarding this issue??
JohnK

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently study with Jimmy Bruno who chairs the jazz guitar program at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Pat Martino also teaches their and the two are friends. It was Mr. Bruno that turned me on to Martino's music and thoughts on improvisation. Mr. Martino is absolutely incredible, having to learn how to play a second time due to an aneurysm. I bought the Creative Force videos for an in-depth look at his approach and they have been worth many time the $50 investment
bluenote908

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: pat martino Reply with quote

I recently attended a masterclass he gave at the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music in Milwaukee; needless to say, it was quite impressive, but difficult to grasp. I attempted to study some of his theories for a while after seeing him, but I have decided to concentrate on skills of more immediate value, such as transcribing Charlie Parker solos, etc.
Victor Caamano

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Pat Martino's approach to the guitar Reply with quote

I attended a master class this summer with Pat (at the National Guitar Summer Workshop's Jazz Summitt). He was amazing in his ability to simplify his ideas in person. The handout (similar to the website articles) was a bit overwhelming at first. As I write this, don't have my notes, but I will comment again later on this topic with notes in hand. Obviously, I haven't fully absorbed it yet.
Victor
detroitred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Martino is incredible. One very revealing thing that he (very casually) mentioned in his tape set, "Creative Force," is that when he's playing, he's not thinking scales or modes. He doesn't change from, say, D dorian to G mixolydian, even though, he says, in the past people have transcribed his lines and said that he used those scales and modes. He never actually talked in depth about what he WAS thinking about when he played, other than to say he plays lines and ideas that he knows, through experience, can make people react in a live setting (paraphrasing).

This got me to thinking. Whenever I tried to play "mode-like" for want of a better term, on standards and whatnot, it sounded like noodling. I bought Jimmy Bruno's tape set and he said basically the same thing as Pat, that he didn't go by the chord scale way of playing. Furthermore, he stated that he didn't know how anybody could ever play by learning that way.

As I started to transcribe different people's lines, Miles, George Benson in the old days, Ronnie Cuber, Bill Evans, Red Garland, Bud Powell and others, I found out that none of these people are thinking "D dorian, G mixolydian." I wish I had known this sooner, it could have saved me 20 year's worth of headaches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: