PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go with sight reading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluestraveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Where to go with sight reading Reply with quote

Its taken about 15 months but I can finally read the open position C and second position G, D, and A scales presented in GMS. Without too much effort I can also read 2nd position C and E. I purchased PWYH thinking it would continue with the sight reading but I don't see it. How can I learn to read CAGED in other positions of the fretboard? Whats a good exercise book that takes me from where GMS dumped me to being a proficient reader over the entire fretboard?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: William Leavitt has a lot of books that help with reading in different positions. His "advanced sight reading" book is helpful.

Longer answer: i can tell what I've done, that doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do, but it's what I've done...

I've really rammed all the major scale fingerings (or modal fingerings, however you want to think of them) into my brain over the years just from simply playing all the time. When I'm reading something in higher positions I find the highest note and the lowest note of the passage, find a position on the fretboard that accomadates those two notes, lock myself into the key signature (scale fingering), and go from there. It's a combination of knowing note names and seeing the intervals.

However, I'm not even going to claim that that's a good way to do it - it's simply what I've done, and my reading is a real weak point (like many guitarists.)

It's probably paramount to be able to play a one octave major scale in any key in any position starting on any finger. I say major scale simply because reading relates so much to the major scale...
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go with sight reading Reply with quote

bluestraveler wrote:
Its taken about 15 months but I can finally read the open position C and second position G, D, and A scales presented in GMS. Without too much effort I can also read 2nd position C and E. I purchased PWYH thinking it would continue with the sight reading but I don't see it. How can I learn to read CAGED in other positions of the fretboard? Whats a good exercise book that takes me from where GMS dumped me to being a proficient reader over the entire fretboard?

The Leavitt books JakeJew mentioned are really good (specifically the Berklee Method - all 3 volumes). I also like the David Oakes sight reading for guitar book (it starts off in position V). Before you get through both of those books, you'll be able to read heads out of the Real Book. And that's what I'd say to do -- learn how to read as much as possible, then just start reading as much music as possible (in addition to your other studies). The more you read, the more you'll get exposed to new ideas, the faster you learn. Plus, if any gigs come up that require a reading guitarist, you'll be ahead of 90% of the rest of the guitar world. Wink
bluestraveler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Standringer said to move the second position scales G,D, and A up one position to Ab, Eb, and Bb and start reading music in these keys. This will help you be able to find any note in the first five frets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: