PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey there =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnpass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Hey there =) Reply with quote

I'm a middleager who's played guitar since my HS days, have always loved Jazz but felt intimidated to take the plunge, so basically I've played R&R, Blues, Bluegrass, really just about everything except Jazz.

I have quite a few jazz CD's, everything from Ella and Joe Pass to Miles, Wes, Barney, even Lou Armstrong - right now my arsenal consists of a Tele, Strat, 335 Dot, Martin D 18, and a K 1000 kentucky mandolin.

My goal this winter is to go through this book I've bought ( ' Jazz Guitar, Jeff Schroedl ) and get a jazz hollowbody.

I'm really strugling to either get a high quality guitar & due to no funds, trade/sell my Martin and maybe a guitar or two, or even my mandolin, or just go budget, say an Epi Joe Pass, or Regent. I have reall small hands so a smaller scale probably would be better. Please feel free to chime in and thanks for the vine.
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, and welcome to this nice place,

i think you get a nice guitar with a small fretboard, we girls mostly have those for our shorter hands Wink
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Welcome!
barnpass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. Q: Does the Emporer Regent have a larger scale and the Joe Pass the smaller scale.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome...

telecasters RULE for jazz. (really. check out ted greene and ed bickert, and on a less talented level, me)

I know the emperor is the longer scale, not sure about the pass model. there's a lot of discussion here about the emp's-- do a search-- i like mine. if you can handle the strat and tele you can handle the "johnny smith scale"
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
ErnieR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Joe Pass has the shorter 24 Ύ” scale. Both the Regent and the Pass are good guitars, they sound different especially acoustically, the Pass has 2 pickups which gives more versatility - if that would be something you would need.
You might look at the Peerless guitars – Doc Dosco is the US importer- http://www.jazzguitarzone.com/ very nice instruments for the money. A number of the models have solid wood tops, some the back and sides as well and better grade pickups and pots. You would have many of the features of the higher quality guitars but for a reasonable amount of money – maybe wouldn't have to sell that D-18. I got a Jazz City model from Doc and it is a very nice guitar.
barnpass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info and tips....
barnpass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. beaumont wrote:
welcome...

telecasters RULE for jazz. (really. check out ted greene and ed bickert, and on a less talented level, me)

I know the emperor is the longer scale, not sure about the pass model. there's a lot of discussion here about the emp's-- do a search-- i like mine. if you can handle the strat and tele you can handle the "johnny smith scale"

I do love my Tele, it's just those long stretches on some of those beautiful Jazz chords that might give me problems + I wouldn't sell/trade my tele, just the Martin, Strat $ the Dot. Joe Pass actually played a Tele for a short spell, it was blonde like mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: