PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Guy from New Mexico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron45

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: New Guy from New Mexico Reply with quote

Hello and greetings. I'm 62 and have been playing for about 20 years on guitar, but played bass since high school before that, I'm a student of jazz and looking at some of the posts this group, I liked all the activity in the area of concepts and things to try over this or that chord.

My interests are recording and writing songs, learning about jazz improv, mountain biking, alternative building techniques, baking bread in our outdoor mud oven.

We built our own off grid adobe home in paradise out of dirt and trees. [ gotten in a USFS thinning program ] We operate on solar energy since 1983. I get on line with a six pair cable I laid myself [ down over the edge of the mesa we live on top of ] to a power pole about three thousand feet away. Before that we had no phone and for a time, hauled all our water.

`Never liked computers till someone mentioned you could record music with them. My first efforts with a pc and Logic Audio were six months of trouble shooting. Got a mac and Digital Performer and been at it ever since. This was in the windows 95 days. So things are probably better in the pc and Logic world these days. I make extensive use of BiaB and Jammer Pro for studying and as my band for solo gigs. I use a Kurzweil K2500R to play back my sample collection so I can have real sounding instruments to play along with. It makes a huge difference.

I didn't get interested in guitar till I moved to the middle of nowhere and there are no teachers anywhere near by. I used to drive to Albuquerque [ almost 2 hours each way ] for private lessons from time to time but am mostly self taught via videos and lots of scale work using drum machines and later all the computer stuff. I feel that concepts are the most valuable tools after you get some knowlege of the neck, chords and scales. I like that the learning never stops.
Ron
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron, welcome.

Sheez..you do live out in the middle of nothing, I thought I did? Laughing

Have questions, search and ask away. I'm sure we'll have or be able to come up with something. Peace!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
ron45

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gorecki, Thanks for the welcome. I'll have lots of questions. What part of the boonies are you in? I'm an hour away from anything. Doing much less driving these days tho. NM has some of the highest gas prices in the country so we just go out when we have to. It's not a problem as we both love it here. My wife works in one of those hour a way places but we have some property there so she doesn't have to make the to and from but once. And I get in lots of music time while she's at work.

Ron
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi welcome Very Happy nice to hear you did the same like us here, we have windmills and they make a lot of power, also iīm a devil in conecting phonelines (no phoneline is secure infront of my fingers Laughing Laughing )
ron45

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it will be fun getting to know you guys. I have a small wind charger in the box still. A toy really [Air X] but just wanted something to fool with and add some juice when the wind blows.

Where are you guys located?

Ron
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ron. Living in the middle of nowhere sounds wonderful, but I don't
think I could do it. Guess I'm too much of a city girl.
I'm in Tx.
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

If you are an hour from anything, and I am an hour from anything, doesn't that make us neighbors? Aside from the fact you are in NM and I am in MI? Anyway, welcome! Very Happy
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ron!

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron45 wrote:
Hey Gorecki, Thanks for the welcome. I'll have lots of questions. What part of the boonies are you in?

Woodbine, MD is not nearly as rural as you. Takes me about 25 minutes to get to a gas station. 1.5 hours to get to work (off peak commute) even though I only live 35 miles from the edge of Washington, DC. Confused

But we do have running water and cable! Laughing

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
nezumi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh! a theme

the bridge is closed for repairs for the next 10weeks, so now I add an extra 15 minute detour to my hour away from everywhere.

Wink
L4sleeko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Ahhh HAA! She make a l o n g lost appearance! Nice to see you Nezumi.
?;^)~
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iīm also a city girl who was going to the nowhere years ago, now i never want to change, we have a spring and a big well here with a fat pump to a big watersaver uphill, from there the water gets natural pressure and the pump musnīt work any time, the pipes from the houses startīs here, the waterpipes and powercables/phonecables are all underground, it is better so they canīt break from snow and ice in winter or when we have stromy days here, this system works always and fine, tv we watch about satellit, a frind of us use internet about satellit it works also fine, we have an internet line with 2000 k here and a seperate phone line, the patrol station is not open all times, they close at 6pm and at weekend, we have a station but when you came the first time here with a train, you thing you are in a ghost town many houses are empty here and you donīt see people, but some are still here Laughing
nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L4sleeko wrote:
Surprised Ahhh HAA! She make a l o n g lost appearance! Nice to see you Nezumi.
?;^)~

oh, i'm always around L4, so watch yourself.

I see that i am also quite rude. sorry to butt in without giving you a welcome ron45.

welcome! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: